HybridZ

Minimum about of thread engagement for outer tie rods

Anyone know what would be the minimum safe amount? Also does anyone have a rack laying around that they can measure the total length of the threads without the outer tie rods on? Maybe the better question would be what is the maximum amount of exposed threads that's safe? I'm trying to put some more camber in the front and caster, and it seems there's an awful lot of thread showing.

By fastener standards the minimum amount of thread engagement length should be equal to the diameter of the fastener.

So a 1/2" threaded fastener should have a minimum of 1/2" length of engagement.

That being said, for something like a suspension component, I would like at least 50% more than this, just in the off chance that somehow the jam nut comes loose and the starts to un-thread the tie-rod. Yeah, and unlikely scenario, but it could happen. I figure that having more thread engaged if this situation were to happen, I'd likely notice the car feeling off, or see it in the wheel before the situation got beyond a point of being able to repair it.