HybridZ

Shifter Extender

TheCrazySwede

Dear Forums,

I have a '77 280Z and I wanted to install an extender for the stock shifter to decrease the distance between the steering wheel and the knob. 

From what I understand, the original thread size is 8mm....is that correct? I can't find an extender that fits that size.

Anyone know of one? 

Thanks!

I bought one from 9k racing GT-1. You don't need an extender. It so long that the knob is close to the steering whee.

Here is where I got the knob from 9kracing

And here is what the knob looks like installed

Thanks for the reply!

I wanted to get an extender so that the shifter sits higher....sort of to mimic the shifters of 50's and 60's Ferrari GT cars

P009Web.jpgP014Web.jpg

Could also get a truck shifter and bend/cut/thread it to what you want.

The setup I was going for would include a short shifter + extender. I know MSA sells one and, in fact, the thread size is 10mm....making the available extenders compatible with it.

The only worry I had is the fact that the 5 Speed I plan on putting into my Z comes from a 280ZX and the short shifter kit offered by MSA is only compatible with tranny's up to '78.

I don't know too much about welding/cutting, etc. If I got a truck shifter, can it be made into a short-shifter (to decrease throw) while keeping its length? I'd have to ask a muffler shop or something to help out.