HybridZ

performance wheel bearings?

AZGhost623

Do performance wheel bearings exist for the 280/260/240's? 

I am looking for some high performance low drag wheel bearings.  I have always used TIMKEN or National brand bearings before which is good for long life, but not for performance (atleast the off the shelf readily available ones).

I am looking for specifics with part numbers for the fronts and rears inner and outters if anyone has those details.

Thanks!

Not sure about the rears but I do have something for you on the fronts. The "Legends" bearing spacer fits a Z with no modifications. The benefit to the bearing spacer is less drag and both bearings share vertical loads better. DRP has REM'd bearings if you want (super polished for lower rolling resistance) and might have a low friction grease seal as well. I just put the bearing spacers on because I'm going to run 15x14 wheels in front and anticipating lots of replacements.

http://store.drpperformance.com/bearing-spacers/

I gave them the specs I was looking for, but they just responded with a kit that will work on my 'legends car'.  Those "LM" part numbers I dont believe cross correctly with the TIMKEN part numbers for the front bearings on a Z tho... Were you only suggesting that the bearing spacer is sufficient?

007 10529 Legends Bearing Spacer $60.00

007 10575 Legends Ultra Low Drag Seal $21.00

007 10755 Kluber Ultra Low Drag Bearing Grease Syringe $38.00

007 10585 Legends REM Bearing Kit (LM67048/LM11949) $52.00

007 10585R Legends Race Kit $40.00 

Legends car is a circle track car built with a motorcycle engine and a toyota celica suspension and rear axle. The bearing sizes for the front are the same as the Z - set 2 and set 6 (set includes the bearing and race and is the more common way they are listed), and the Z is within the spacer's adjustment range. I don't know about the grease seal, you'd have to cross check that. Can do that on the Timken site, probably a bunch of auto parts sites too.

Didn't recognize your username before and your avatar doesn't show your huge flares. Obviously we're in the same huge wheel boat here. ;)  If you figure out anything on the rear I'd like to hear about it, but I think the only option there will be some high $$$ custom wheel bearings.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats awesome find Jon. Definitely worth that upgrade as Im tired of setting front bearing and still always having a little play. Now if there was an easier rear wheel bearing setup.

BTW the Z front wheel bearings are the same size as the ones on my E150.

Edited by heavy85

If you continue to have play after you adjust your bearings, consider the possibility that the race has become un-staked.  Years ago, my driver side inner bearing race got loose in the hub and I had to get a new hub.  I think my passenger side is acting that way presently.  And I know my right rear inner bearing race is loose in the hub.  Just gotta find time to section another strut.  Gambling till then.

• 3 weeks later...

This guy is not too far away from me. He can make any kind of ultra low drag/ceramic bearing you can imagine. He doesnt have anything on the shelf that fits the datsun timken parts. But his price list covers custom part numbers based off the bearing number. Sounds like the real deal. Ill have to reach out to him and see what he can do.

"Performance Bearing offers direct replacement ceramic bearings to replace almost any steel bearing. All we need is your bearing Part Number and details on your application to fix you up."

http://www.performancebearing.com/bearinglist.html

http://www.performancebearing.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Another option is you can have bearings REM finished and cryo treated.  Some places will do it for Timken bearings but many times you need to take them apart.  I never knew you could do that until a friend took some apart, cleaned them, changed to a lower drag seal, and put in better grease.  Ceramic would be the best option but are very expensive.

Cary

From what I've seen they are a bit weaker, and have a higher tendency to shatter if there's too much shock or misalignment, but where that upper limit is is debatable. Personally I wouldn't worry so much about the strength, but would investigate if there are better particular types of lube for ceramic vs all steel.

Ceramic can use lighter weight oil versus grease for lubrication.  There is some info around wide 5 conversions for circle track racing.  For the money they are probably not a good trade off unless you can't use a larger bearing and are losing a steel bearing during a race due to load or heat issues.  I doubt that would be many of us.  REM finishing and good grease along with the spacers would be a large improvement.  When I checked on ceramic prices one bearing was the cost of doing all 4 corners.