HybridZ

Replicating Factory Paint

Dumb one for ya. 

I basically know nothing about painting a car, and what I do know comes from the internet, which contradicts itself every other url. But, with the help of a friend (who painted cars professionally a decade ago), I'm returning my car to its original 1972 Avocado Green color this weekend. As per my friend's instructions, I ordered a urethane basecoat from TCPglobal.com. He was unsure if I needed a clearcoat...I believe I do...or were the cars single stage way back when? They were Datsuns, after all. 

Pic for clicks:

post-32762-0-90152900-1432702411_thumb.jpg

The original stuff would be single stage enamel, no clear coat. 

I repainted my fenders with the original paint code and cut and polished the original Persimmon Red on my 77 and the match was pretty much perfect. 

Perfect. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Where have you guys purchased your paint with the paint codes?  If I wanted to order a touch up paint in lets say 907 racing green, where or how would I go about that?  Looking online it doesn't seem to have any luck with all the colors let alone "safe" sites.

I went with TCP Global's Restoration Shop brand to reproduce the Datsun 113 Avocado. Here's the completed car...

post-32762-0-29755100-1450636795_thumb.jpg

Edited by fyanrudger