HybridZ

Fiberglassing hood scoop

Have an old Beta Motorsports FG hood, needed clearance for a carbed V8, so here's what I'm doing. Bought a vette hood scoop from Speedway Motors. It's open in front and rear so should be a combo scoop/cowl kind of effect. It is too short to clear the air cleaner out of the box, so I'm going to have to cut and extend the sides. I think it's going to look pretty cool when it's done...

post-553-0-93684400-1433006656_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-32684400-1433006657_thumb.jpg

post-553-0-95084500-1433006657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jon - as part of the numerous tests I imagine you will be doing, try the simple yarn experiment and check which way the yarn is flowing 9in or out of the cowl.

I did this with a cowl induction hood and found that there was not much induction going on at 100mph.

Jon - as part of the numerous tests I imagine you will be doing, try the simple yarn experiment and check which way the yarn is flowing 9in or out of the cowl.

I did this with a cowl induction hood and found that there was not much induction going on at 100mph.

I don't think a yarn test will tell me much, since it will go into a sealed air box and I don't think the airflow into the engine will be enough to suck yarn in at 100 mph. I could test pressure in the scoop vs next to it to make sure that there is actually some pressure there and maybe see how much of a ram air effect I get. That will be way down the list though. I was going to use a front mounted scoop but had heard of some issues with those pressurizing the front of the carb more than the rear, figured this would allow it to equalize.

I am working on the same style scoop for my car! Great minds think alike! I also built a Viper style scoop in front of the Corvette style scoop.

I think I've seen it on Facebook but can't recall your name there. Would like to see pics if I haven't already.

• 2 weeks later...