HybridZ

Refrigerant Cooled Intercooler Concept?

Evening gents, I have been thinking of this for quite some time.

The system is based off of three main parts,an air to water IC,an evaporator inclosed in an aluminum tank, and your typical R134 AC system.

The idea is as follows,

Coolant circulates between the outside of the evaporator, to the water side of the IC,and back to the evaporator tank.

and the evaporator is cooled by your typical AC system.

A couple of key points,if this ever comes to fruition, the evaporator tank would be added on to the side of the IC,wich would further more

promote cooling and lessen the amount of fluid in the system. The way I'm thinking is that with less coolant in the system, it will take less time to cool, (also less to heat up as well though).

I've seen multiple threads throughout the web that have had ideas with the evaporator being mounted inside of the inlet airstream,

but the ruling has been that the air isn't dense enough to be cooled quickly off of the evaporator at high cfm rates

I know there are some brilliant minds here on hz, and was curious on input and if this would be a plausible way to bring intake temps down,or if the constant drag by the compressor would negate any net gains?

Picture attached below for a visual.(MS paint warning).

Thanks much.

post-48934-0-76360500-1433283490_thumb.jpg

I think the question that needs to be answered is, why?  What is the intended application?  Is it for the street, drag racing, road racing?  Air to water intercoolers do work, and I'm sure an A/C system could refrigerate a coolant reservoir.  This would certainly work for short bursts of WOT where the A/C compressor gets shut off but to really know if it would work for extended periods at WOT, you need to figure some numbers out like efficiency of Air-to-Water intercoolers and A/C systems.  Expected intake temperature before and after addition of this system...etc 

Personally I think in the end, you would be adding a significant amount of complexity for a minimal gain(if even a gain) in horsepower.  I don't think this is a new concept, and I think it isn't used for a reason.  

Remove the efficiency losses of the water in The system.

Run R134 directly in a proper exchanger off the turbo.

Use a large Accumulator for the transients in btu loading on/off boost.

Insulate everything and use a minute hole on the bottom of the piping to weep the condensate produced.

Some engineering students at CalState Dominguez Hills did this setup on a Saab Turbo with proof of concept documentation.

With proper engineering on the system more than enough horsepower is achieved compared to non-intercooled to compensate for the added weight. I think their weight / horsepower goal was 7lbs/hp and they achieved that while maintaining a consistent 5C inlet charge temperature on a 35C Ambient day.

The top of the manifold plenum makes for a nice contact cooler for fuel supply and fuel return piping to homogenize the fuel temperature as well.

If it helps, the car was black, and coined a phrase "we proved window tint makes horsepower!"

Edited by Tony D

• 8 months later...