HybridZ

Wheels/Rims for 1977 280Z

Hello again.

Eventually I plan to get new wheels/rims for my 1977 280Z. The previous owner had put adapters on it to go to 5-lug rims. This is a bad idea. So, I want to remove the adapters and go to 4-lug rims. However, the tires are brand new (from when I bought they car) and are pretty nice - Yokohama Advan S.4 205/55r16 ... so I want to keep these tires. 16" rims look sweet on the car, too.

From my research, it appears the original bolt pattern is 4x4.5 (114.3mm).

When I look for new rims/wheels, is there anything I need to keep in mind other than the bolt pattern (and, of course, the fact that I am getting 16" rims that will accommodate my tires ... 5.5-7.5" wide, 16" rims)? Reading some of the older threads that I ran across (back in 2003, etc.) people were saying that there weren't many wheels that would fit these old Z cars. But a quick Google search seems to show quite a few wheels with the correct bolt pattern. Am I missing something?

Also, what about offset?

The bolt pattern is common, but zero offset is less common.  Perhaps the issue is more with rubber, as there is not much choice for performance tires in 16"?

Hello SleeperZ. I already have performance tires for the 16" rims, so this is not an issue for me.

Why is a 5 lug conversion a bad idea?

The converters push the wheels/tires out quite a bit. This can cause issues with the tires possible rubbing on the fender when at a sharp turn. As importantly, it adds a vibration at certain speeds. I had this tested when I had the front end aligned and the mechanic said he could not get rid of the vibration (at certain speeds) as a result of the adapters.

I'm currently running 16x7 Centerline wheels with 0 offset on my 1977 280Z with 225/50-16 Dunlop Direzza tires. They just clear the inside of the fenders and also clear the stock suspension. I do have an issue with them lightly contacting the outer fenders lightly when hitting a hard bump with two people in the car. Your 205/55-16 tires will clear with no issue. If you have coilovers I'd suggest running a +10 offset which pulls the tires in a little bit. When you go out to wheels think longer term than the set of tires you have now. Have a plan.