HybridZ

Headlights dont work

Hi guys. I'm at a bit of an impass with the headlights on my '77 280z and could use a little help. I did some searching here and elsewhere, got a lot of leads but nothing that worked so far

All of my lights are working except my headlight. Turn signals, brake lights, parking lights all work. the combination switch turns the side marker running lights on and off but not the Headlights. 

fuses are good. Headlight bulbs show continuity with a  mutimeter, and continuity from the stalk to the fuses look good and from the fuses to the headlight wiring looks good too.  All the connectors look solid. (pulled them all apart, sprayed them down with contact cleaner and re attached)

I pulled the combination switch apart tonight and cleaned everything with deoxit. pulled open the top of the stalk with the actual connectors and the High/low beam on the other side. (even cleaned the wiper control underneath, because i didn't know what it was.)

Is there something im missing with maybe a ground somewhere? or another part of the system im missing? any help would be great.

Heres the wiring diagram im working off of from the FSM

post-49096-0-37908100-1433588945_thumb.png

I had the same issue on my 74 260Z.  The system may have lost its gound.

What you can do is add a ground wire to your headlight wiring before they seperate at the front of the car. The wiring should run along the passenger front side of the car. Look at a wiring diagram to see what im talking about. I just used a scotch lock to connect the add on ground wire at the harness, drilled a hole and bolted the other end to the frame. Turned my lights on and they worked on low beam again, did this 4 years ago, no problems since. Takes 15 minutes to do this.  

There is also a youtube video from a zguy who did the same thing, I think his z is a 77.

Edited by dexter72

I pulled the combination switch apart tonight and cleaned everything with deoxit. pulled open the top of the stalk with the actual connectors and the High/low beam on the other side. (even cleaned the wiper control underneath, because i didn't know what it was.)

You can check for voltage at the switch terminals (the solder posts on top of the switch) and at the dimmer switch.  To see if power is making it through, but not getting grounded.  That would at least narrow it down to source or ground.

I had a power switch that had just dried out (the little fiber board that holds the wires) and got loose.  You can bend the tabs back and open up the switch to clean the contacts.  Then bend the tabs back extra tight to make sure good contact is made.

You didn't say if "cleaning" means just spraying with Deoxit or spraying and working the crap out of the switch.  If it's been sitting a while you have to work it.

Fusible link!! There's the problem.

Continuity was testing good forward of the stalk and the green wires(parking lights) where showing voltage but nothing going back so I figured it had to be power source problem. I checked the fusible once, cleaned and replaced it, but something told me it had to be the weak spot so when I pulled it a second time it came apart in my hands. Bingo.

I replaced it with a 16 gauge universal fusible link from auto zone until the correct parts come in from MSA.

Thanks guys