HybridZ

77 280z XR3000 Install Query

Here's a link I hope will work with photos: https://goo.gl/photos/YdKQQqW8XxpAHBUs7

I'm hoping someone can help. I've searched here and at many other forums and there is a lot of stuff surrounding this install but nothing on the actual install. I feel like sticky material could be made of this issue, I cant be the only one.

I understand that the Blue wire from the loom is the coil ground, I am pretty sure that the Black/White tracer is the coil+ and the Run circuit. Then there's two Black/Blue tracer wires that have me stuck. I believe them to be the Start circuit wires but my issue is that there are two of them. All the factory diagrams show only one. Mine seem to come out of the loom in the same spot, connect to the ballast resistor with the funky \_/ thing and I have no clue why.

Can anyone assist? The pictures should have enough info to go on.

Then there's also that condensor... RFI? It continues forward in to the front bumper area and is connected to the block under the distributor but not to it, and the other Blue wire coming out of the loom and ending with a female connector, never been connected to anuthing so not important really, but I am curious.

Anyway, thanks for any help. Bout to bust out the DVOM and start fiddling.

You might have one of the two pickup models of distributor and ignition module.  What's under the distributor cap?  If you have two pickups, try the 1976 wiring diagrams.

Don't forget to disconnect the original ignition module under the dash.  And the blue wire also feeds the ECU and the tach, it's not just the coil ground.  Did the engine ever run with what you have?  Adding new parts to non-running parts can make an undecipherable mess.  

This won't make you feel better, but it's not sticky-worthy because it's not really that hard.  You're just replacing one electronic ignition module and trigger system with another.  You could do the same with a GM HEI module.  The GM module might actually be more robust than the optical pickup of the Crane.

These links might help - 

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/9000-0700_.pdf

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/cranemanual.pdf

The car runs great. Single pick up, which is why I am asking the question. I've looked at the diagrams for other years, that hasnt cleared it up.

Bought it with 48k orig miles on it. Had vacuum leaks (of course) and fuel pressure issue but those have been resolved, everything else is fine.

Planning on a crank triggered ignition EDIS eventually but I wanted to squeeze a little more juice out of this L28 so I am running through each major system and updating. Have a 383 heading my way and thinking about swapping that in so I'm not spending a ton on the L28,just trying to get it solid while I decide... Thanks for the info.

This wiring diagram is pretty good.  http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/F77ZCAR-WIRING1.pdf

Shift your focus to the module under the dash, by the fusebox, and things will make more sense.  You could even mount the Crane box there, since the wires you need are all in place.

Replace the 77 module with the Crane box, and the single pickup with the optical unit.  Use the meter to confirm connections.  Use the red and green wires to connect the optical pickup to the Crane box.  Leave the blue wire attached to the coil negative, it branches on the way to the ECU and tach so it needs to be there. 

I think I am going to pull that section of the loom apart, by that diagram it looks like the second Blk/Blu wire should come off the resistor, going in to the condensor, then grounding. That is not the case in mine from what I can tell. But I'm sure it's secrets will be revealed under the loom. I do like your idea of starting back at the unit itself.