HybridZ

Problem SBC distrubutor install

I've HAD IT with distributors.  When I first got the car back from the shop it had a crappy Accell HEI in it.  I needed to do some work so I pulled it.  The replacement is a MSD E-curve.  The "shop" said they had it installed the MSD unit, car ran for 3-4 minutes and quit, never to start with that distributor again.  I sent if off to MSD came back just fine. 

I tried to install it and it engages the cam gear but never lines up/"drops in" the oil pump shaft.  Looking that the Accell unit the distributor shaft looks a bit beveled so I did some grinding on the MSD unit. (lightly $400 distributor)  Tried again no joy.  Ordered up a HEI Summit billet distributor and tried to stab it last night, still nothing.  My concerns are 1 why is it not engaging the oil pump shaft (yes it is aligned to accept the gear with the cam gear twisting the distributor and 2 IF I really put pressure on the top of the distributor and it does engage the oil pump drive shaft, if I remove the distributor the oil pump drive shaft will come out with the distributor will create a whole new set of problems.

Should I grind the distributor shaft down further and hope for the best???

Any advice is appreciated

Now I'm not the absolute best at several things in life but I have installed several distributors over my life time.

I'll take a stab at this......

if the "fork" like tangs on the end of the oil pump driveshafts are too long you can trim them. however this means getting the driveshaft out.  This is usually a distributor problem and not a driveshaft problem. Measure the depth of the pocket where the tangs go on each of the distributors you have. then measure a stock driveshaft and see if there is a issue. Sometimes the tangs are spread and this will make it hard to get the distributor to seat/sit down. a long bendy flashlight will show you if this is a problem.  

If the driveshaft comes out there is something wrong. like the plastic collar that is used on the OE shaft is missing. I have never seen an aftermarket shaft that didn't use a steel collar that is pinned to the shaft. these won't come out of the block.

I use a long flat head screwdriver to move the driveshaft around so that as the distributor drops in as it rotates on the cam gear and lines up. I know you've done this before.

don't give up, it can be tricky. my friend does this trick...plugs out distributor in place, hand rotate engine (not starter), distributor drops in.

sorry 'bout the bad pun....

Luigi      

This is why I use OEM distributors (when I'm not running DIS), they fit and work well.

The MSD dizzys use a pick up that is similar, if not the same as a Chrysler distributor, which in many cases does not play well with the GM ICM (Ignition Control Module), especially at lower RPM.

As far as what you have not fitting, or meshing, I can't say for sure, without seeing the parts. I've had some dizzys (even OEM), where the oil pump drive shaft had to be PERFECTLY aligned, not just REAL close, but I mean absolutely perfect, before the dizzy would drop.

I've also resorted to the stabbing the dizzy in the hole and bump the engine over until it drops with pressure on the dizzy itself technique, but sometimes this doesn't work either, if the oil pump drive turns by friction of the gear and shaft just touching each other.