HybridZ

Backfire at idle.. runs perfectly above ~1500rpm

I had a tick in my valve train- went to adjust the valves and discovered there was a missing lash pad. Ordered that, got it back in and reassembled everything. Now it runs great when I rev it and sounds really strong.

Only problem is that if I let off the gas and let it idle it drops down to 500rpm, randomly backfires with clouds of black soot out the exhaust and then will eventually bog down and die in 20-30 secs.

If I gas it and keep it above 1000-1500rpm it sounds/revs fine and anything above that it just sounds stronger. Only problem is at idle.

Any ideas? I checked connections on the coil, dizzy, and plugs, and cleaned the plugs. My guess is that its too rich at idle? Causing it to backfire and eventually die..

Any help would be much appreciated. In the middle of trying to fix this, and my K-jet Volvo 242 turbo that has a misfire under boost problem. 2 many cars with 2 many problems lol

Car is a 1973 240z with rebuilt L24/5speed with twin SU's. This problem only developed after I fixed the valve train tick. Maybe the carbs are out of tune now since the exhaust valve is actually fully opening now? 

post-42797-0-54030500-1434736128_thumb.jpg

It sounds rich. Also, as you said, the carbs need ot readjusted after the valve adjustment. Follow the 72 factory service manual's procedure for adjusting the carbs. Set idle speed, idle fuel/air mixture, carb sync, and so on. You may as well check the plugs and adjust the dwell and timing while your at it. Basicaly give it a complete tune up.

Edited by beermanpete