HybridZ

Safe solvent for cleaning MSA headlight covers

RebekahsZ

I was in a rush to get to a race and used black electrical tape around the gap in my MSA headlight covers. There is some tape residue on them now that I have the tape off. Can anyone recommend a safe solvent that might remove the tape adhesive from the paint without ruining the plastic/plexi/lexan(?)? The adhesive was on for two weeks and is still a little goo-ey.

Laquer thinner eats plastics! Acetone is better if feel like using primary . WD40 the soap and water is a great idea. The citris based GOO cleaners are also a great product

Acetone is a solvent for plastics also.  Stay away from any solvent, even carb cleaner might mess it up.

A light oil would work.  Vegetable oil, olive oil, the oil in WD-40.  It will soften the glue so it can be wiped off.  Since WD-40's proven, that would be the way to go.  Alcohol's probably safe also.  Don't rub too hard, you can scratch the plastic.  It's soft.

• 3 weeks later...