HybridZ

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive find for pretty much anywhere in Idaho!

When I'm back in Utah in the summers and both our cars are running we should definitely go for a cruise! 

Definitely! I am stoked to drive this around again, it was a great find! you'll have to bring your car to next year's salt lake tinners show! I think it's hosted by jdm legends and it's awesome!

I didn't know that was a thing! Is it around summer time? I'm off after mid june - late august for the summer since I work as a teacher here in Washington now, so that's around the time I'll be back home to really get working on the car again

This last year's was august 23rd, so it might be pushing it depending on when they hold it next year! there are some sexy z's there! here is the link to last year's facebook event page, but either way getting some zs together would be rad!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1159725710719683/

Neat show! I didn't know we had any like that in Utah. 

And another member in Logan! Never thought I'd see the day. Most of my car shenanigans will be happening in Logan, but I'm in Washington for my teaching job right now. I'm not sure I'll bother updating until I actually get the car up here. Anything I buy I'm still gonna be shipping to Logan. 

I actually know 2 other Z owners here in Logan, one is a co-worker and has a early '70 240z in storage, the other is a dentist friend of mine that is building a dedicated autocross 260z.

You don't mean orthodontist do you? Dr. Guymon was mine and he has a green 260z.

Dude tell me more about this tinners show, I'm in Logan and never heard of it. Great project by the way, mine was in Hailey Idaho for $350, weird how there are some great card from up north.

haha dang that is a steal!! I'm not sure what shape yours was in when you picked it up but 350 bucks is hard to beat!

and the show is really rad, If you haven't then for sure check out jdmlegends.com, he restores classic japanese cars for a living right here in utah and they are awesome! But I'm pretty sure it's him that hold the event, its pretty small and not a lot of people know about it but it's getting bigger! theres a page called utah japanese classic cars on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/738108372880013/ ) and it usually gets posted in there before it happens. actually, I'm sure you've both seen Gord's 2009 240z build thread, he in insanely detailed and gifted in his craftsmanship. but second to last page this guy posts some pics of his car, almost at the bottom of the page. the red rb swap 240 post by "stony", that dude is a utah local and at least one of the pictures he posted was at tinners, in the spot he always is in haha.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/2009-240z-build-t403961-870.html

check it out, but the show happens in sandy/midvale area right down the street from my fiances! you both should come next year if chance permits it!

I am terribly behind on updating. I have been really focusing on getting the car ready for paint, the guy is actually coming tomorrow to quote me on the job! I've got a few people but I figured searching around would not be a bad thing. I've got a bunch of pictures too, so hope it helps.

first things first, I got some packages!! I bought the black dragon auto weatherstripping kit, I'll have to post my thoughts about the install later but for now I'm excited to have it! I also took some pictures of my paint boxes, because that also excites me, probably more so than the weatherstripping.

IMG 1775

IMG 1776

also, I'm making a custom shift knob out of old skateboards as a knod to one of my favorite hobbies. this is the stack of board wood glued together, I need to cut and shape it down but it will be awesome when it's done, I've posted what I want it to look like in the past.

IMG 1777

I put my little brother to work washing the radiator and gas tank. I also had him chip some sound deadening away and take out the steering wheel haha. child labor!

IMG 1778

IMG 1781

now, onto the harness.

I took out the rest of the wiring, slowly taking photos as I went so I knew where every single piece connected to on a stock L24 setup (as that's what I have for the time being). I figure if anybody needs some visual aid on putting their bay back together this might help, and i know I will use it soon haha. I'm just going to post the pictures because some of the parts I'm not sure of their name. Hope this helps somebody in the future!

IMG 1779

IMG 1780

IMG 1782

IMG 1783

IMG 1784

IMG 1785

IMG 1786

IMG 1787

IMG 1788

IMG 1791

IMG 1792

IMG 1794

IMG 1795

IMG 1798

IMG 1799

IMG 1800

then part of the window washer pump. also, I broke the crap out of the bottle when I grabbed it, the plastic had seen better days haha. I'll look later but does black dragon sell new tanks and such?

IMG 1801

IMG 1802

IMG 1789

also removed the clutch master cylinder, i think I left it on in this pic to show where it goes and such.

IMG 1803

I've wondered for a while now why my passenger side is more rusted, as I was taking pictures of the harness going through the wall I figured out why. there is a hole going through my firewall into my passenger front wheel well. makes sense now haha.

IMG 1792

IMG 1793

a few days later I got home from a recent business trip and started by starting to sand down the car in prep for paint, as well as removing some windows and all the trim. all easy stuff to remove, I should've taken pics for anyone having trouble but for the top trim to take it and kinda twist the bottom out and up a little at the time, gently so you don't bend it of course. then work your way down. there's also plastice tools you can get to aid that process without risk of scratching your good chrome.

IMG 1890

IMG 1891

IMG 1892

IMG 1893

IMG 1894

IMG 1895

anyway, today I want to get the door handles and such off and sand the rest of the car down to it's primer mostly. wish me luck!! it's so close to paint!!!

Looking good man, thanks for the show info.  I got mine with no engine, just parts (junk head, smog pump, etc...) and supposedly a recently rebuilt 4 speed.  The interior isn't to bad, cracked dash and usual stuff but the rust doesn't appear to bad at the moment.  I'll find out more hopefully this winter when it's living in the garage and I have more time to work on it.  I threw a build thread up but I should probably have the admin's move it over to the member's project section.  http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121186-midnight-madness-560z/page-2; might change directions initially and try to get everything put together in "stock" form but use a late 2006+ fx45 intake manifold with the dual intake tract, we'll see.

Good luck with the painting and everything!

I'll have to check, but I believe I have an extra washer bottle. If I do you know the drill. ..lol

Daniel

Dan!

Thanks man, I'm debating buying this one off of ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDSHIELD-WASHER-TANK-KIT-AND-PUMP-FIT-DATSUN-510-1600-240Z-260Z-280Z/262064922053?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33601%26meid%3D8048ea381cda49c69583fa82cb4bc250%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D311438526697

it's weird because it's liek the exact one I took out but it says it's not compatible for my year? not sure, but it comes witha  new pump and looks spot on to what I had so I'm probably gonna risk it. I'll let you know if it ends up not working! Thanks for the offer!

Looking good man, thanks for the show info.  I got mine with no engine, just parts (junk head, smog pump, etc...) and supposedly a recently rebuilt 4 speed.  The interior isn't to bad, cracked dash and usual stuff but the rust doesn't appear to bad at the moment.  I'll find out more hopefully this winter when it's living in the garage and I have more time to work on it.  I threw a build thread up but I should probably have the admin's move it over to the member's project section.  http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121186-midnight-madness-560z/page-2; might change directions initially and try to get everything put together in "stock" form but use a late 2006+ fx45 intake manifold with the dual intake tract, we'll see.

Good luck with the painting and everything!

yeah no problem on the info! I can't wait till more people know about it! I was checking out your build but none of the photobucket pictures are working for me, I can't see them! did they lose their link? or are they private maybe? and that is definitely a unique engine, the infiniti fx45?

I'll double check the photobucket links, enginee is a vk56de from a titan.

interesting, I'm interested to see that when it's done!!

Interesting washer bottle/motor. I know Black Dragon Auto sells universal ones (they specialize in Z parts), but I don't know how the fit compares. The ones at Black Dragon are $20

dang thanks for the heads up! they look pretty similar, but shoot why not buy from black dragon!

ok everyone, sorry for the delay. I've got a bunch to update cuz I've been too lazy to post anything haha.

I've got a ton don the past couple days! I don't even know where to begin. I guess first of all, I got a bunch more sanded down but then my paint guy told me I should just get it blasted, so I'm debating on sandblasting or dustless. Does anyone have any experience with dustless blasting? I'm worried about how the paint will stick afterwards. Let me know if you know a bit about it!

I also got some rubber sheets. I'm going to attempt to make taillight gaskets rather than spend 80 bucks on a set, it just seems pricey haha. I'll have to keep you updated on the prices, but here is the link if anyone is feeling adventurous!

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-%20-6YHE9?cm_mmc=EMT-_-OrderConfirmStandard-_-GuestOrderConfirm-_-sku&RIID=147652166&GID=&mid=OrderConfirmation&orderNumber=1244350448&rfe=5d344918e886ff60144989bb3c228b6bc91a954bee87bcc3b604ecaa05b9d380&origin=prod

IMG 1344

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

I'm just going to talk about a couple of quick highlights and post all the pictures haha.

I got the doors taken apart, the windows out. I also took out the rear window, but I broke the bologna out of my windshield, so a new one for that! too bad though!

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG 1347

IMG 1348

IMG 1346

IMG 1349

IMG 1350

IMG 1351

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

I also pulled out the headliner and as much of the side lining as I could. I need to get the windshield out first but it's a start. I also got the sun shades and crap out.

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

also, while taking out the windows I pulled out the trim on everything. with the over the door trim it was easier to grab at teh rear end of the trim from under and pull out and up slowly and deliberately to not bend it, and just really slowly work my way forward. the chrome in the door is held together by 6 (?) 10mm bolts that you take them all out, then i pushed the front end down while pulling the rear end out of the door and following suite with the front. I got pictures of it all but I must've deleted them as I cannot find them anywhere haha.

the hatch trim and windshield trim you remove the corner pieces, then I scraped along the edges to get the gunk out of the way to make it less risky, don't want to bend the trim! then I just went under each piece as flat as I could and pushed down the line and popped it up.

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

rear hatch window out, windshield broken

IMG_1390 copy.JPG

IMG_1391 copy.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

I gave up after 3 break points haha

I did a bunch of weld grinding down. you can see how good it looks when the spot welds are flat on the flares. I'll need to seal them but for now this'll do!

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

Nice piece of cancer I'll need to replace.

IMG_1359.JPG

Here are some pics of my engine area, I pulled most of the front apart in prep for the blasting. I broke almost every bolt too. Joy.

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG 1979

IMG 1980

IMG 1981

IMG 1982

IMG 1992

IMG 1993

IMG 1994

IMG 1990

IMG 1995

IMG 1996

IMG 1998

IMG 1999

IMG 2001

IMG 2002

IMG 2003

IMG 2004

IMG 2005

IMG 2006

IMG 2011

IMG 2010

IMG 2009

IMG 2007

IMG 2008

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

I also noticed that my z mustve been in a front driver's side collision. It has a plastic headlight scoop rather than the metal on the oppsite side and some good denting. I took a hammer to it and here are some before and after, and comparison pics of the other side.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG 1987

IMG 1988

IMG 1989

IMG 1983

before:

IMG 1984

After:

IMG 1985

still needs some work but it looks a ton better

got the driveline out, the rear tank hoses out (Can anyone tell me how the duece to get the funnel out?? the big black one that you actually pour the gas into). I also got the transmission and engine all unbolted and now it sits, waiting for me to borrow an engine hoist and pull her out!

IMG 1997

IMG 2016

IMG 2017

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG 2019

and one last question. drained the tranny oil, noticed the metal shavngs on the magnetic bolt. is this something to be alarmed about? or is it normal wear for the z car? I'm leaning towards normal wear, due to no large chunks and it drove fine, no slipping. better clutch that my DD.

IMG 2018

Edited by Jboogsthethug

As far as snapping a bunch of bolts, there are a couple of places that sell stainless bolt kits for the Z, unfortunately my old age is preventing me from remembering their names. But I'm sure someone else will chime in.

I've found a few places with those bolts, what I'm having a hard time finding are the nut insert things that the bolts screw into. They look like this, but I can't find any z specific. does anyone know of any? if not I'll probably buy some like these and fabricate a bit. I imagine I can get the same threading I have so that shouldn't be an issue.

I can't see a picture of the exact threaded insert your looking for, but hit up grainger, fastenal or mcmaster-carr and look for nut inserts, rivet-nuts , j-nuts or panel fasenters. They'll have any thread you could want.   I think Harbor freight might even have a cheap threaded insert kit with the tool, yep here's a link; down side to this kit isit is for standard and not metric threads so you'll have to change hardware.

Nut inserts in my experience tend to spin in their mounting holes if you try to tighten them down to much, so if it's something that requires a little muscle I would use weld nuts (little flat threaded tabs you can spot weld on the back side) or tack a regular nut to the back of what ever you are installing.