HybridZ
Jboogsthethug

Jboogsthethug's 1971 240z build

Someone on here with a 280z recently did the coating thing under the cowl panel. Can't remember the build name. Car was painted some sort of Lambo orange/red. I'll find it later tonight if you haven't seen it so you can get an idea. I saved the pic at my home computer for reference because I liked the idea.

yeah dude let me know!! THat's kind of what I'm thinking, just reach in with a brush! I'll see if I can find it as well.

Looks nice! Congrats on getting hitched in a month!

thanks dude! we are stoked, I'm hoping to drive away in this, we will see!

alright, so the past little bit on the crap weather days (there seems to be more and more with it getting closer to winter), I've been working on little pieces (as I stated in the above post). I finally got around to painting some. I tested the durability of the undercoating I bought with a wire wheel and I was happy with he results, definitely seemed durable enough! so, I used that to paint it!

IMG 2379

I also have gotten a bit more done with my car, and I'm getting better with spot welds!

IMG 2376

I also came across this dash repair thread

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/22325-dash-repair-processpictures/page-1

thanks to my friend Terry's info, and I've been testing a few ideas off of it. I changed up the main repair material they used to somer evercoat stuff (also from the SW store) that is supposed to be good for plastic.

IMG 2359

IMG 2358

IMG 2357

used the great stuff to fill the gaps after grinding it with an 80 grit disk.

IMG 2364

IMG 2365

IMG 2380

after that I stole a guitar string off one of my old guitars and cut the extra foam off.

IMG 2381

IMG 2382

sanded that down by hand..

IMG 2383

IMG 2384

and spread on a mess of goo!

IMG 2385

I'll update more when I'm ready. the weather looks crap for the next few days so it's perfect for the small stuff. I'm going to coat it with bedliner for the texture, I've heard of a guy doing that and he was happy with the outcome, we will see!

J.

Edited by Jboogsthethug

Yesterday I figured out block sanding a bit more, was doing it wrong, of course, but now this method should be easier. I'm a self employed filmer/photographer, so I have a lot of free time when I'm not working and I use every ounce of it on my car. I probably sanded 8 or 09 hours, but I had caked it on from the get go and didn't sand as I went which is where I messed up haha. I bought a harbor freight air block sander and that hopefully will help! Harbor freight can be really cool haha.

I finished the dashboard! I am pretty stoked with the outcome! You can see through the pictures the evolution. In all, I re surfaced the low spots 3 times with the body filler and then did 3 coats of bedliner (after the 2nd I sanded down just a bit to get rid of the slop).

partly sanded

IMG 2394

fully sanded

IMG 2395

wet paint

IMG 2399

a couple of sexy shots

IMG 2403

IMG 2404

The detail, I liked the outcome

IMG 2405

this is the bedliner I used, anybody used it before? I've been told (after the fact) that it's not good?

IMG 2407

turned out pretty nicely! also, almost finished sanding down my doors, they are looking mighty fine and straight! I think I'm getting the hang of the body filler stuff!

as far as the body itself, I haven't had a chance to work on it for the past 2 days. It keeps saying it's going to snow then it doesn't. but tomorrow I'm going to crank out some work on it. I hope I am able to get a ton done! I also was able to paint the front wheel wells (after masking everything off) and I started on the top of the cowl. I keep running out of paint haha. I also had to grind down a bunch of body filler then start over so I could actually manage it haha.

IMG 2390

IMG 2388

FullSizeRender 3

FullSizeRender 2

More to come! I've got 25 days to get her painted and put together! Wish me luck!

J

Sorry all for the lack of updates. I was working furiously in prep for my wedding so it would get done on time. I was definitely on time with everything, but while using a hand grinder to smooth out some welds, it popped back into my face and went through my lip. I then totaled my car on the way to instacare and got a ticket, it was terrible haha. anyways, after all that the doctor said i was no longer able to work on the babe until my face healed, and with the approaching deadline I decided to pay some friends to finish the body work and paint. things were still good and this is what it looked like when I dropped it off.

IMG 2427

IMG 2445

IMG 2482

IMG 2483

I also dropped off my windows to the tint shop. all limo tint and 35% on the windshield, since it's a show car ;) Speaking of which, the rubber piece that divides the glass from the metal on these windows, what is that rubber piece called? I need a new one and haven't quite figured out the name of said piece.

IMG 2480

IMG 2479

Speaking of windshield, I bought a new one from a place in layton, utah called precision glass, they do z's often and they will install my glass.

anyways, fast forward two weeks to when they said they'd be getting it done and they didn't touch it. they also left it outside, and told me it was covered when it was not at all covered and it was also snowing/raining here, so it naturally rusted. I found out and took my car back, and they had been nice enough to remove said rust. I've been friends with them for a long time so I'm not going to name names or anything, they do a good job with their work but it was upsetting. and since I took it there instead of somewhere else, there is no way to finish it in time for my wedding which is the day after tomorrow. it was a giant bummer because I've been working so much and have been fully committed to it since I bought it, and to have it not work out because somebody decided it wasn't important enough is not cool.

anyways, I'll have more time to figure everything out now. I'll continue to post updates as I plan to spend an hour or so each night after I get home from my honeymoon. it will take another month or so but hopefully will be done and back on the road soon. I really miss she feeling of driving it.

for good news, My tint came out great!! this is all of my windows neatly organized in my basement and what the tint looks like. I had a few tiny pocks in a few of the windows because I didn't think through things and welded next to them but I learn as I go.

IMG 2571

IMG 2575

updates soon!

Justice.

also, check out this photo I shot of my brother's mazdaspeed3, I know this isn't a speed community but I thought it turned out rad!

15 10 KimmyK

It's been a bit, after my face mishap it got really cold, I lost motivation to go out in the cold and work on it and it was too cold for paint to dry or the body filler to settle anyways haha. Luckily, this week things have started to turn around and I'm stoked!! I went and bought my own engine hoist and I used it yesterday to paint under my car! I did the whole underbody with rubberized undercoating, adn I'm stoked with how it turned out. super rad stuff, this week I'm going to put the brake cables and fuel lines and the rear diff back in, it's getting closer and closer! I still have yet to paint the actual car due to everything but it will be painted soon hopefully! I also started assembly my window pieces, and I finally brought my engine up from my previous residence haha. I'll be able to clean it off and paint the block! more soon.

IMG 3002

IMG 2987

IMG 2980

IMG 2972

IMG 3110

IMG 3105

IMG 3106

IMG 3107

IMG 3102

IMG 3103

IMG 3104

IMG 3078

I forgot to post these, a day or two after painting I got under there, installed the fuel lines and brake lines and the rear diff (after trying to clean it off as best as I can, although I plan on changing out the diff and a arms, etc. so I didn't worry about painting them or anything.) I'm going to need to go back in and replace the rubber around the lines but for now the old rubber will do the job just fine! I hope to finish body work this week, wish me luck because I've been saying that forever now hahaha.

IMG 3122

IMG 3128

IMG 3157

IMG 3159

IMG 3160

Also, I took a strip of rubber and made a gasket at the bottom of the window, the last one was pretty old and broke during the removal!

IMG 3127

IMG 3002

damn dude! your freaking lip. holy crap. Those grinders are nasty. I've seen a bunch of injuries with those things. I've been using them for over ten years and they still scare me. Well I'm sure you'll heal up and the little scar will make for a good story. Great work on the Z!

damn dude! your freaking lip. holy crap. Those grinders are nasty. I've seen a bunch of injuries with those things. I've been using them for over ten years and they still scare me. Well I'm sure you'll heal up and the little scar will make for a good story. Great work on the Z!

Haha they can be pretty gnarly, I just used one for the first time since the accident a few weeks ago, it was pretty nerve-wracking haha. Thanks for the encouraging words, I can't wait to drive it again!

I am so over sanding, it's not even funny. I still have so much to do, it just never ends. I need to pick up some sanding material as well, I'll have to do that today sometime. My wife got some pictures of me modeling ;). I should probably get an actual dust mask, but so far the rad has done pretty good actually.

IMG 3255

IMG 3256

ANybody who wants to hire me for any modeling shoot can get ahold of me here...

I've also been finishing up the body work on the passenger rear panel, I Think I'll be 100% done with that today, so then I'll need to finish the bumper and I'm done with the shell's work and just need to finish the pieces after that, which I'm pretty stoked about! 

I also finally got around to deep cleaning the inside of my cowl. After the Dustless blasting there was still a bunch of material that had gotten stuck to the walls inside the cowl, I went in with a toothbrush (My wife's Idea, I couldn't find a wire brush) and I scrubbed the walls and corners on the inside, as well as behind the air duct, and I'm goning to try and paint in there today too.

IMG 3270

IMG 3273

gotta love the toothbrush & vacuum combo, makes you wonder why we don't have our own mini vacs for our teeth when we brush them  :mellow: what a cruel world.

more later!

Man this is a read!  Trials and tribulations dude!  Good to see you aren't losing focus.  And by finding a woman that supports your hobby will only keep you happy!  

That grinder incident is knarly....I have never experienced something like that, but I really pay attention to stay away from the plane of the blade.  Those things freak me out!  

Keep up the grueling work and it will pay off.  This thing will be beautiful!

Man this is a read!  Trials and tribulations dude!  Good to see you aren't losing focus.  And by finding a woman that supports your hobby will only keep you happy!  

That grinder incident is knarly....I have never experienced something like that, but I really pay attention to stay away from the plane of the blade.  Those things freak me out!  

Keep up the grueling work and it will pay off.  This thing will be beautiful!

Haha thanks for checking it out man! and my wife is super rad, she definitely has helped me keep moving forward. on a side note, I'm going to be using a face mask when I use teh grinder from now on, it sucked when it happened but it could've been way worse so I consider myself lucky! 

thanks for the comments and best wishes, I just can't wait to drive it again!

back to the z,

I didn't get as much done today as I'd have liked, but I did get my cowl painted up! it was only now just sitting here that I saw a spot I missed in the interior shot I took, I'll go back over it tomorrow. it seriously is the worst, I used the blacktop coating from KBS coatings and it is all over my forearms, so now I'll rock it for a month until it falls off and takes my arm hairs with it. I'm just happy that part is over haha.

IMG 3305

IMG 3306

IMG 3307

I also keep thinking I'll be done with the bodywork each day, and each day I keep finding out that I will not be. I went to the store today and got more supplies, and I forgot to get hardener. that was really dumb.

Over the past week or so, it looks like so little but I've spent hours sanding and sanding and sanding. I can't tell if I just suck at bodywork or what but it's been a workout. My wife helped me sand my horns down and repaint them.

IMG 3318

IMG 3321

I'm seriously so stoked on them, it just feels good to look at them and know they look as good as new and hopefully my car will follow suit!

here's a before

IMG 2267

IMG 2266

and after:

IMG 3333

IMG 3324

they look awesome in my opinion! as far as teh sanding I previously mentioned, I have one door done, the other door and the hatch almost done, 95% of the main shell done, the hood is started and I haven't yet started on the front fenders. It's exhausting haha.

IMG 3554

IMG 3555

FullSizeRender

for now, That's all I got. It's sad to see it progressing so slow but it's better to do it right and slow rather than fast and wrong. 

more to come!

I realized after I finished my hatch that the hatch lock wouldn't work, the body filler was too thick, so I decided to start over on it as well as the rear bumper. Better to do it right now rather than wish I had done it after I have it painted!

IMG 3558

IMG 3559

Way too think, I'm a madman!!

IMG 3751

IMG 3752

So, here's to starting from the beginning again! Other than that, I bought a metal shaping tool kit from Harbor freight and I've been practicing my metal shaping skills! I feel pretty good about it, I got some good dents straightened out of my fender. not perfect but it's a start and I'm pleased. I also got my front lip from Jegs. Hard to beat $150, though I didn't read the description and was expecting fiberglass rather than polyurethane haha.

IMG 3909

also, who here has taken their battery tray out and relocated their battery into the back? I'm thinking I should probably do that. 1: my battery tray is pocked from the past rust and 2: I have no idea how I;d paint the underneath and 3: I want to relocate the battery anyways, along with a few other deletes from the engine bay for a real slick rick look! lets hear some of your thoughts!

IMG 3753

It's been quite a long time since I've updated you all about the ole bugger!

I've got a bunch of work done. My brother straightened out the rear hatch fro me at his work really well. I made a slide hammer out of a five pound dumbell weight and a stick of rebar I welded into a T, then tacked it to my rear bumper and pulled out dent after dent. I then filled the holes and started to work on it. The interior is almost completely sanded, and I went through and stitch welded the entire car (except underneath, I've already painted it all but I figured what I did would do a good job. I also went through and had to scrape out the remaining sound deadener with a blade, then the tough to reach places I hit with a wire wheel.

I removed the battery tray and did fixed the holes there, then shaved the entire engine bay and also smoothed out the pocked area where the battery tray was.

I also sanded and painted the interior of the front fenders. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but I'm hoping to paint day after tomorrow!

IMG 6411

IMG 6389

IMG 6814

IMG 6820

IMG 6819

IMG 6822

IMG 6823

IMG 6824

IMG 6833

IMG 6835

IMG 6839

IMG 6847

IMG 6848

IMG 6874

IMG 6876

IMG 6890

IMG 6891

IMG 6982

IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6985.JPG

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6993.JPG

IMG_6994.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6549.JPG

Oh, also,

I made a new fusebox from two 5 fuse fuse blocks from OReilly's, I had $15 bucks in coupons and it cost me 10 bucks with a few other items. I made the plastic piece by cutting up a front license plate holder from my wife's 4runner. it did the job! now I need to rig up the fuse backsides a bit but I'm hoping to make it work. My other fuse box lit on fire the last time I had the battery connected.

IMG_6987.JPG

Whoa! Awesome progress! Wish I was in Utah so I could work on mine right now. Glad to see you're still at it!

Thanks man!

Slow progress but I'm running out of little things to fix body wise and I'm really looking forward to being done! Are you still teaching in washington?

Yeah, still in Washington. Car is back home. Although I did pick up a series 1 up here for parts recently. I really just need to pay someone to finish up the metal work on mine so I can move on to other things that I actually enjoy haha.

Yeah, still in Washington. Car is back home. Although I did pick up a series 1 up here for parts recently. I really just need to pay someone to finish up the metal work on mine so I can move on to other things that I actually enjoy haha.

Seriously, my same problem! I'm trying to finish it all this week so I can be done with it and move on to putting it back together and actually drive the dang thing! haha, that's tight you found a parts car! you don't happen to have a driver's side metal headlight cone that you'd sell, do you? no worries if not, mine is just fiberglass and the front go in an auto accident back in the day, doesn't line up perfectly anymore. I think I could shape a metal one a bit easier.

I need to double check the one back home, both that I have are in decent shape. If I can get this one home with me I could sell you one cheap.

If you're impatient there's an early and a late model 280z in a not so easy to find junkyard up in Preston if you're ever up that far. I took the passenger bucket off the 76 so there are still 2 usable driver ones to be had. I'm heavily doubting the cars are gone considering the guy that owns the yard works a full time job now. You'd have to find him on the weekend.

I need to double check the one back home, both that I have are in decent shape. If I can get this one home with me I could sell you one cheap.

If you're impatient there's an early and a late model 280z in a not so easy to find junkyard up in Preston if you're ever up that far. I took the passenger bucket off the 76 so there are still 2 usable driver ones to be had. I'm heavily doubting the cars are gone considering the guy that owns the yard works a full time job now. You'd have to find him on the weekend.

haha I doubt I'll ever be in preston, I' may hold off on that headlight bucket or something!

Might look on ksl and try this guy for a headlight bucket?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=678&ad=41582526&cat=&lpid=

I saw this as well, thanks for the link! he's been there for a while so he may be interested in parting things out.

This week I've put a ton of time into finishing the prep for paint! had to strip a few things down, but I'm just about there!

IMG 7027

IMG 7026

IMG 7016

As far as the body goes,I'm finally getting to it!

IMG 7017

IMG 7177

IMG 7178

Painting is a nerve wracking thing, I really don't know how to do it but luckily I'm able to learn as I go. first coat of primer on last night, a whole slew of runs but luckily I'll be shooting the second coalt on the exterior tonight as well as the first coat for the interior. SPI epoxy primer, I've heard good things about it so I'm hopeful I can use the limited skills I have and make it turn out pretty well. We shall see! Wish me luck chaps.