HybridZ

S30 OEM brake line diameters?

Just bought a 70 240z she'll and came with absolutely nothing for the stopping game, including but not limited to brake lines! :'( done a lot cosmetic and body work but finally getting to the fun part.the Mechanics! Since the car has no brake lines or distribution block, booster etc etc etc. Just wondering if anyone knows if the diameters from various S30 /s130 were bigger than others of the actual lines vary. I've read more fluid & pressure = better so looking to source some lines for this lady. Or would oem 240z lines work just as well as say 280z lines. I'll be sourcing a 15/16 master cylinder $ fitting either 280z or maybe zx booster for the better stopping power.

I think that the lines were all essentially the same over the years.  Probably the same for all Datsun/Nissan/Infiniti platforms.  It's the actuating cylinder sizes that affect pedal effort.  The metal lines just allow fluid movement so size doesn't matter.

The booster has to fit the mounting studs and clear other parts.  The master cylinder should be matched to whatever it's pushing on.  An all disc setup would need a different MC than discs and drums to get a good balance of travel, effort, and stopping power.

I think that the lines were all essentially the same over the years.  Probably the same for all Datsun/Nissan/Infiniti platforms.  It's the actuating cylinder sizes that affect pedal effort.  The metal lines just allow fluid movement so size doesn't matter.

The booster has to fit the mounting studs and clear other parts.  The master cylinder should be matched to whatever it's pushing on.  An all disc setup would need a different MC than discs and drums to get a good balance of travel, effort, and stopping power.

Thank you kind sir pretty much sums up what I needed to verify. 4 piston front calipers & zx/sx rear disks would work well with the 15/16 Mc and 280z booster in your opinion

My brake set up on my 240Z is similar to what you mentioned above: Toyota 4 piston front, 240SX rear, 1 inch Wilwood MC and 280Z booster. Originally I used  a 280ZX mc  but replaced it when it failed with the Wilwood 1 inch mc.

I installed the 280Z booster to off set the heavier pedal caused by going to a larger diameter mc.  It works!  With the 280Z booster, the pedal is easy to modulate with minimum foot pressure.

Now the facts:  The popular 240Z brake swaps (Toyota, Maxima, 280ZX,  240SX) are not balanced front to rear. There is too much front brake bias. With the Toyota front and 240SX rear the ratio is 60% front and 40% rear. So performance suffers. There has been much debate about these brake "upgrades" so I took a year and did them all so I could see first hand how they perform.  I experimented with a variety of front and rear pad materials as well.  I found all of the various brake configurations  to be overly front biased. Some of the racers will use high friction pads on the rear and then dial in the front-rear bias with a proportioning valve for various degrees of success. I tried it, but didn't like the idea for a daily driver.

Edited by Miles

Just get a roll of 3/16 brake line tubing from the parts store and start laying it out. Get the fanciest flaring tool that you are willing to pay for. If it is to be a race car, convert to AN fittings. If a street car, put your brake kit on it and reverse engineer it from the caliper to the master cylinder. Determine what size and style flare each component needs and put that style flare on it. If staying totally stock, each flare is a female double flare (not bubble flare) with an M10x1.0 flare nut. If I were starting from scratch building a race car, I would increase my pedal ratio from 6:1 to 7:1 and eliminate my booster altogether. Or, just mount masters low in the floor to leave room for a turbo in the space where the booster is now. The sky is the limit, but be ready for some sore hands. Above all, if varying from stock routing, think about future maintenance and try not to "paint yourself into a corner." Keep components accessible.

Sweet! Yeah on my previous z I had the stock drums on the back and it felt more balanced than breaking on the zx / Toyota set up my buddy had. Definitely going for street use and I'm sure the rear drums might not looking as cool/fancy but do you think 4 piston front and rear drums would be a good set up? (since we're talking brakes already) haha