HybridZ

Yet another rotor sizing question...

Hey folks,

I recently started putting together a z32 rear brake kit for my S30. A friend had the brackets sitting in his shed, and I traded off my 280zx headache of a rear kit to get the calipers.

With early, deep offset (2 1/4") rotors, the fit centered in the caliper almost perfectly, nothing a little shimming of the caliper cant fix, however, the overall diameter of the rotor is to small, and needs to be 12" od. To use the entire pad.

So, is there a factory rotor that matches the specs of a early 280zx rotor in all way but is larger in diameter? 300zx rotors dont have the deep offset, nor do later 280zx ones as ive seen from other peoples measurements...

Thanks in advance for the help :-)

Does the caliper you have now look like the picture in the link below?

http://forums.nicoclub.com/300zx-z32-rear-aluminum-calipers-brakes-t487499.html

Most rear caliper swaps use Maxima, 280ZX (early/late) or 240SX parts.  I have not seen mounting brackets recently for Z32 (300ZX) rear caliper swaps.

You need to identify, conclusively, what mounting brackets you have and then get the correct parts.

Post detailed pictures of each part that  you have.

Or you could just buy these: http://www.modern-motorsports.com/z-rear-disc-cnc-brake-brackets.html

Edited by Miles

thanks Miles,

I have pics, but IM currently posting from my phone and cant post them from the mobil site.

They are aluminum z32 calipers, just like the ones in your link. They are supposidly Z quip mounts, which Ive had little luck finding info on.

Ill post pictures in a little bit. The guy i got them from uses something similar, but has custom Coleman rotors... Im just hoping i dont need to go that route for financial purposes.

Z Quip has been out of business for some time.

You might be able to buy used Modern Motor Sports 240SX brackets from a Hybrid member or elsewhere and then get the 240SX calipers and correct 300ZX (11.4 in dia non turbo 1984)  rotors and brake lines.

Hybridz member Nigel has done some nice work in the past.  Wrote up the 71C transmission swap for the S30.  Seems to know his stuff and he's dug in to the situation you're currently in.  Worth a read for sure, maybe the next group.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/113199-yet-another-rear-drum-to-disk-conversion-option/

This is a really handy tool, thank you. Unfortunately there isn't anything that matches the dimensions I'm talking about.  I'm just going to stop wasting my time and I ordered the s13 caliper brackets from MM. done spinning my wheels with this project haha. 

• 3 weeks later...