HybridZ

Intake / Exhaust Gasket Orientation

Dat73z

Hi, 

Does anyone know the correct orientation for the intake / exhaust gasket with metal backing?

I searched online and found some pictures which show this gasket installed with the metal backing either way. In speaking to some Z people it sounded like the metal backing needed to go towards the header so that is how I've currently installed it. My repair manual does not detail this and the MSA exhaust gasket looks a lot different than the one I'm using (Harada / Kameari).

I've attached a picture detailing how I've put the gasket on for now. Check out the area by the header for the metal backing. Can anyone confirm if this is correct / incorrect?  

Thanks!  

post-50006-0-77822300-1435597455_thumb.jpg

Dat,

I asked the same question a couple of months ago when I received mine.  Here is what I asked and the reply I received:

I received the intake manifold it is very nice.  I have some questions:

1. What direction does the manifold gasket go?  It has a large metal flange on one side of the gasket, does that metal side of the gasket face the head?
2. Do you recommend any sealant on the gasket?
3. In the package were two aluminum plugs, a small one and a large one.  What are those used for?

Thank you for your contact with me.
The answer is as follow.

1.  Metal side atatches to cylinder head.
2. No sealant is needed . 
3. Those plugs are for fuel hoses. You use if you want to plug the end of fuel hose.
Thank you.

That is from a Japanese seller of those intake manifolds.  This is their website: http://www.gl2007.com/usa_product.html

So I need to pull my header to remove my transmission. I have not run the engine with this gasket and I liberally slathered the gasket with anti-seize. 

Anyone think I have a shot as re-using the gasket or should I just bite the bullet and order another? 

I have to ask...how does that gasket go on but any way BUT the correct way?

It's non-reversible. You can not swap it end for end, you can not invert it.

By design it can only go one way.

How would you propose to put it any other way that the way it currently goes on with the thermostat at the front, unless you swapped it to the other side of the head with mirror-image ports???

From my understanding from the posts above (and this may be incorrect as there is a lot of misinformation out there on the internets and even by local Z people word of mouth)...the Harada / Kameari gasket should be mounted with the metal backing facing inwards towards the head. My original mounting in post 1 was incorrect. 

I suck at describing things so just ran out to the garage and snapped a couple of pictures. Correct and incorrect orientations. Good timing as I've been tearing my entire motor apart due to not turning by hand. 

I haven't pulled a Datsun intake in a long time! LOL

I must be thinking of another with the thermostat gasket integral...maybe the L4, which was my confusion. That side photo corrected the situation perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not making any recommendations here, but I was recommended by Dave from rebello racing to use high temp gasket maker on the header and fuel resistant gasket maker on my intake. He said he doesn't use gaskets because they leak. I was skeptical of his recommendation, but so far it has been holding up fine.