HybridZ

JDM 280zx wiring help

I know this is going to appeal to a smaller group of people and experts, but I figured I'd give it a shot.  Please help if you can or know someone that can pass their contact info along if they're okay with that.

I have a 1979 JDM 280zx that developed some painful electrical gremlins a few months ago.  I'm not sure which came first, but I do know so far that my starter solenoid was hanging up and the SR20 alternator diode(s) shorted out through its case (not necessarily in that order).  The car started and drove, but lights/accessories would randomly cut on/off and the voltage gauge would drop to around 9 volts.

I started a long journey of using the wiring diagram, a voltmeter and a lot of trial and error to discover a few other shorts.  One was the license plate light, one of the horn green power wires, and the ASCD controller box.  Everything else so far checks out good but I did find something strange...or a few strange somethings.  Under the driver seat are a few extra relays/boxes not in the FSM.  One has a stamped label that says "Switching Module" and the harness going to it (stock by the looks of the main harness wrap) and it has a White with Red stripe wire that is shorting out.  I've checked every other wire of this color and they are all good.  I have no clue what this thing is and does besides that label.  Does anyone have a JDM 280zx wiring diagram, or know what this thing is?  The rest of the wires on that connector do not offer any clues either.  The best I can tell the wires meander forward to the main harness area.

There also seems to be an extra relay along the bottom door frame rail in addition to the diode box.

I'll be chasing down this short, and I think one other that was on a few yellow/green wires.  The offending list is getting shorter as I continue to remove ALL components and relays one by one.  I've got almost everything disconnected now.  I'll see if I can snap some pictures later to help out.

Mahalo,

Sam Kraemer

Mililani HI