HybridZ

RB26 for tracking (road course) help -- oiling system

aongch

Need some advice before taking mine out on the big track soon. So far I've installed a proper ATL cell, so fuel issues should be minimized. My biggest concern is the oiling system, current RB26 has N1 oil pump with the RB25 sump (reverse install). Do I have to worry about oil pick up and starvation at high G's, for example here locally at Auto Club Speedway's high speed banking? I'm asking mainly about engine and drivetrain. Suspension and proper bracing, as well as cooling, are taken care of.

Thanks a bunch guys, all advice taken. I'm excited and ready to push my S30 to similar M3 levels :) 

General racing tricks.

Overfill by 1 quart.

Run a larger brighter oil pressure light. (Or just make sure the light you have is easily visible)

Start moderate and work your way up to speed gradually lap by lap keeping an eye on the oil light.

Edited by Chris Duncan

Oil starvation is a real thing with RB's, oil pump cavitation is a good way to damage or progressively weaken the pump. I would put a baffled pan on anything with an aftermarket oil pump. My car would drop 50psi at 7000 rpm when it would hook on the street. So yeah 30ish psi oil pressure at 650+whp @7k rpm.. yikes same thing can happen when going around a corner.

Good advice, all, can you recommend a good, aftermarket baffled pan? This might have to do before the oil restrictor. Track sessions are 5x 20-25 mins, I can always watch the pressure and/or use a warning light.

For the oil restrictor, OEM, brand, type? Any links to vendors?

Accusump is race proven, Thanks.

As far as 'overfill by 1 quart' per Chris, is this fine with RB motors? I know that BMW does not recommend their engines to be overfilled due to cavitation (air/oil bubbles circulated), hence avoiding the practice in my M3. If this is not an issue with our RBs I would definitely add the extra quart for insurance.