HybridZ

'74 260Z front frame rails are TOAST...need sage advise...

Pics say it all....rusted, spongy  crappy crap

Drivers side 1st

Passenger side 2nd..

I really dont want to scrap the car, as you are seeing the worst.

I am a fair welder with an excellent shop and tools.

Here is what I am thinking:

2.5" square tubing all around.  Mary up some Badog floor pain rails?

I have never done this on a car.  Is this thought process correct?

1. level car, measuring level on the door frame sills.

2. cut out front frame at the bend on the top where its spot welded to body work (need repair there also)

3. cut out rest of rusted sheet metal parts

4. repair sheet metal in prep for new frame rails

5.  level new frame rails, weld in

post-48963-0-41128400-1436034217_thumb.jpg

post-48963-0-25865500-1436034286_thumb.jpg

post-48963-0-36701500-1436034940_thumb.jpg

post-48963-0-30225200-1436034961_thumb.jpg

What does the rest of the car look like? I know you said you don't want to scrap it, but I'm just looking at the holes in your strut towers, inner fenders, and your frame rails, and wondering just how much of this car is left. If you do decide to fix it, square tubing is what I would use. It's been done a few times on here. 240hoke has done it, and so has wheelman, and a handful of other people that I can't remember.

Rest of car is good to very good.. very minor outer damage to the body (spot on the hood).. no rust damage in the back end.  There are some pinholes where the front windshield gasket was and water would be trapped..but other than that.. its all very good.  

Floor pans need replaced and firewall needs repairs.

Both of them did it long time ago, and I wasn't sure if all the pics, etc. were still up. So I took a look, and found it. Might've been hard to find otherwise.

http://www.vikingds.com/zcarguy/rebuild-status.html

http://www.vikingds.com/zcarguy/rebuild-status.pdf

Same content, different formats...

I have no idea if 240hoke's build is still up. But you could probably PM him and see what he has to say.

I know there's others who have done it, just can't remember who...

Edited by rturbo 930

Been there, done that. So has "Mull" etc. http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/51969-1971-n1-rb26-240z-project-hugo/?hl=%2Bproject+%2Bhugo

Pretty much like you said. Level the car, on rockers. I made it upside down. After that i made new frame and after that weld it back to chassis. Or fenderwells and floor, to be precise. Btw, as you can see i made it 40x60mm tube, because i wanted raise the crossmember, to get better geometry to front suspension. Also did those tension rod mounts to chassis little different.

post-3341-0-94408900-1436186621_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-57385500-1436186716_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-62491900-1436187094_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on how much you got it for. You could square it up, and potentially fix it, but it depends on your skill level as a fabricator. I've met several people who were confident on their welds and looking at one of their beads I knew they would fail at any certification test. This requires stripping all the surrounding metal and cutting away rust, locating the frame and welding it back in and filling the gaps. Once the main square frame is installed then you have to locate the tension rod mounts and the cross member mounts. These will all have to be located in space as you will most likely have to remove the factory mounts. This means body alignment comes into play. 

If you got it for cheap then I agree with John, pull good parts and even good sections and scrap the rest for scrap costs. Find a better shell and put on the good parts. If there are no cars close by, you are not willing to fly/ship, or you are willing to dump money and time into what you currently have, then put a plan together with how you are going to level, locate, align, and try to upgrade your fair welding to competent by attending a class or getting some tutelage.

If you do decide to rebuild I would look very hard to modern cars and how they have reinforced the tire well near the driver's feet.  If your welding in tubing it wouldn't take a whole lot more to strengthen that area.  It is one of those things you never want to find and when you have an attachment to a car it doesn't help.  If you can overcome that and objectively look at what you have and different options you'll be money ahead in the long run.

Good luck,

Cary