HybridZ

Advise need on push of EFI system

Bernjean

Hi, I live in Auckland New Zealand,   I own a an S30Z  its a 1977 Fairlady 2+2.  This car was originally imported to New Zealand from Japan and come with an L20. It came with what I understand is the same fuel injection that America had for the 280Z.  I have since swapped out the 2 liter motor and rebuilt a 2.8 and used a mix of 280ZX and the 200Z parts to make it go but still using the L20 ECU.  My intention is now to remove the current fuel injection system and install a modern system.  In my part of the world the choices are very limited. I am trained as a Motor Body repairer, can do some mechanical work but when comes to this sort of thing I have limited abilities. To get a tuner to make something up for me in New Zealand would cost me huge Dollars.

I have found an outfit in Hollywood called Top End Performance and had discussions with them.  They can offer me a complete system including Ignition management, Crank trigger triple coils etc.   I have a couple of questions I would like advise on from anybody who has had experience.

1.  Has any body used this system and how good is it?  The intention is for road use only and engine is still standard and will remain so.  

2.  Speaking to tuners in New Zealand. The Electromotive TEC - Gt  Ecu is unknown here.  I spoke with Steve Nelson at Top End and he says that this ECU is the best one for this set up. He also says that it should not pose a problem as it is simple to operate. The Guys in New Zealand recommend that I buy an ECU locally. Steve's argument is that once it has been tuned professionally I will want to do some more adjustments myself in the way of fine tuning for my style of driving. Which I feel is great.   Hes say that this can be done from a laptop and is an easy system to use.   What are your feelings around this?

Has any one had any experience with Top End and can offer advice?

I run it. Bought it from TEP as well. Here's the thing about them.... he's a salesman. He's super nice and informative about the stuff he sells. Just dont call up and ask him for help or questions after the sale. He is really short, and wont give you much help. He isnt very technical from what I gather. The electromotive guys are super nice, and easy to work with at the manufacturer which is where I had to go with some questions I had. The electromotive stuff is a very solid product. Just a lot of people dont use it due to other alternatives. There is a lot of history around this product. Once all their patents were up, then everyone else was doing it. Its a pretty solid system, easy to work with, and very easy to install. Just not a lot of help out there if you need it..... Any tuner shop could probably help you out, mine was able to figure it out relatively easy. 

Instructions are very easy to understand and follow. It comes with all the clips, plugs, and stuff so you just wire up what you need.

Thanks for your response, that's very helpful.

That's not a problem as I would have plenty of help here in NZ.  What I need to know is the system itself a a good buy.  The last thing I need is a host of problems because the kit is not up to scratch?

Edited by Bernjean

I don't think TEP or Electromotive have ever been accused of selling crap, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

Buuut, if you are getting the ecu tuned by somebody else, make sure the tuner is comfortable with the ecu.

I have tuned Electromotive ecus and they work well. But so do many others, such as Link (which must be well known in NZ).

Thanks for the input.  That is exactly what I was thinking.   I was in part of the world about 2 weeks ago.  We spent time in Vancouver and Alaska,  You guys have a beautiful country,  I would love to do a road trip up through to Alaska. New Zealand being so small doesn't have those miles and miles of roads.  Although to be honest our roads are have a lot more corners, which makes road trips very interesting.  We did all the touristy things.    Spend a day on Victoria Island, really lovely.  We saw a few 350Z's and on the last day there was a very nice 280Z parked outside our Hotel..  A real pity you guys had to those big bumpers.  Doesn't do much to the look of the car. Thanks for the advice.

• 6 months later...