HybridZ

Z31 ECU wiring help

Logoleaf

Hi everyone,

Im a little confused with the wiring pinout and looking for help. I have a 1987 auto ECU that need to wiring with zx harness. I have read a lot of thread of how to wiring it but didnt see for a 1987 model. Here is my questions:

1. Are they all z31 ecu the same pin out? If not, where can i get a diagram for a 1987?

2. According to this thread, what does it mean by the word "shielded"? http://www.xenonz31.com/computerpinout.html

3. Do i need to hook up a TACH from ignitor to the ECU for fuel management (manage fuel injectors)?

Million thanks for any comments and links.

Kevin,

1. There are differences in pinout for some of the sensors.  When I wired one, I got the diagram from the service manual for the specific model year of Z31.  Before the internets there was the library, that's where I photocopied the reference material.

2. Shielded refers to metal overbraid that protects sensitive signals from interference from engine noise like spark events.

3. You don't need to hook up the tach, it is separate from the ECU.  As a matter of fact, my tach never operated properly with the Z31 ECU.  You do need to hook up an ignition wire from the ECU to the coil driver (ignitor) so the ECU can drive the coil.

I never finished my 86 swap but they are different. I got the book and taped the diagrams together and then went to kinkos and blew it up. I had such a hard time keeping all the lines from blending together even blown up.

SleeperZ,

Which pin on the ECU that will control the ignitor? I have MSD 6a installed. Thanks!

I never ran an MSD, I used stock Z31 coil and ignitor, using the ignition coil wire.  But that is the correct signal to use for an MSD, whether the MSD can use it I do not know. 

You need the FACTORY service manual for a Z31, not a generic repair manual (although they may have wiring diagrams, I bet they will be difficult to see the model year differences).  These are year specific. You may be able to find .PDF versions of these like the S30 manuals.

Edited by SleeperZ