HybridZ

Lets talk old combo switch.. and modernize it?

So given our cars are 40+ years or so old now, these old switches and levers are worn out and hard to find for a reasonable price. Even if you do find one restored.. it is still using old technology. Almost every aspect of our cars now has some form or another of modernized upgrades. From headlights to suspension, you can upgrade your Z to be more modern... but the steering column switches!

I think it's time we start looking into finding a replacement or design a new one ourselves. I'm going to start taking measurements of the column and see if it's possible to make a new switch system. I have a 50x50 cnc router that I made long ago, and can probably use that to make new parts. (I currently need to retrieve it from storage tho as I recently moved..)

Either make new parts using modern switch technology, or find a replacement steering column switch from another car that could be adapted with a bit of wiring. Lets discuss what options we have and see if we can all make the Z a better car than it is!

I've seen a guy put 350Z stalks on his S13. Really cleaned up the look his interior, but I'm sure the bride Vios', Nardi deep corn, and nismo 350Z dash had some help too. Lol

It would be cool to see someone graft some modern items like that, but at the same time, I love the look of the indicator stalk, it has such a basic function and reflects that in its design.

I can try and find that build thread of the s13 if you like?

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

I would be interested but if you could keep the stock look and would be very cool. I thought about how difficult it would be to upgrade, especially since the little boxes on the end could house some electronics.

my hi beam selector switch broke last night after I finished relays.. can he replace that switch? or does it just clean and send it back?

Not sure, you'd have to ask him. Here is his listing for a switch, the rebuild service is $75.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-10-73-7-76-260z-280z-RESTORED-Headlight-Switch-SUPER-QUALITY-/261874140485?hash=item3cf8ea4545&vxp=mtr