HybridZ

TC rod damage

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bolts are all perfect. The washer on the rear hole is bent. I think you are spot on about the need for more meat around the bolt hole. I'm waiting on a quote from an on-line supplier for both 4130 and 4140HT. My only real remaining question is on the clevis bending. Chicken or egg? My best pics are two quotes up.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Just ordered a 6"X12" piece of 3/8" 4130 sheet from AEDMotorsport.com.  $130!  Dang, that's half of the TTT kit.  If I was in a hurry (and if I run into any snags), I will sure give the TTT kit a try.  If anybody finds any 5/8-18 RH inner tie rod ends, give me a yell-I'd love to have longer swaged tubes made up to reduce exposed threads on my barrels.

Pete-I tossed that idea around but I don't know that much about fabricating and metallurgy. Can welding ever weaken a part by jacking up the heat treating?? That's why I just bought the CM. plus, it's kinda crowded in there with the sway bar and stuff.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Pete-I tossed that idea around but I don't know that much about fabricating and metallurgy. Can welding ever weaken a part by jacking up the heat treating?? That's why I just bought the CM. plus, it's kinda rowdies in there with the sway bar and stuff.

Yes, welding can cause problems with strength if it is not done correctly. For this a good welder should be able to do it ok. Another option would be to start with a thicker piece of steel and machine the center thinner, leaving ribs at the edges.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys. I have all my parts on-hand to put this back together. I called azcarbum@gmail.com who sold me this kit in order to see what failures and failure modes have been reported. He said the only failures that have been reported have been in either wrecks or off-track excursions. He also said he chose the 5/8" clevis so that it would be the point of failure instead of the TC box in the frame. So, for now I have tabled the idea of beefing the system up. I do plan to use his longer tubes to allow for more thread engagement. If I shorten the dogleg a bit, the longer rod should work-it was just millimeters too long when I first assembled all this. But, I have another question for the suspension committee: should I reassemble with the ball joint bolted to the BOTTOM of the TTT control arm, or should I cut a window in the box section of the control arm so that I can mount the dogleg to the BOTTOM of the LCA and mount the ball joint ON TOP? Seems to me that mounting it this new way will reduce "bump steer" some and reduce the moment on the TC rod. I seek your suggestions/discussion while I get on the drill press and start making dog legs from 4130 per 74_'s design.

post-5903-0-79152900-1440281325_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-89996400-1440281345_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

I understand the whole bumpsteer/roll center thing, that's why I put the quotations on "bump steer". But it's a good thing to get that outboard end of the LCA as low as the wheels will allow, isn't it? (Text sent in a discussion tone, not an exasperated tone). I may just have to mock it up and see how the different configurations affect the dynamic toe. Sure wish my new garage was finished. It just won't stop raining here long enough to get any concrete work done and all I lack is a driveway. Working all crammed in next to the minivan is a real buzz-kill.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Both configurations will be equivalent as far as bump steer, roll center and camber gain are concerned.  For kinematics, all that matters is the distance between the centers of the suspension attach points.  The different configurations will cause different bending moments on the dog-bone.   However, with the use of the improved dogleg, I don't think you will have a problem in either configuration.

So it doesn't matter what happens between the inner pivot and the ball joint, I get it. Changing the angle on the LCA doesnt accomplish a thing of the location of the ball joint and inner pivot don't change. Got it. Thanks! This winter when I replace the tie rods I plan to move those inner pivot points up.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I added caster by adding shims between the end of the step in the TC rod and the theads to add 1-2 deg of caster. 2 was too much and kept spinning in slow, heavy braking turns so back to one. There is enough slop in the factory TC mount to the control arm there is no bind. The inner control arm has a spherical too. The TC bushing is Gman nylon cone style with factory rubber on the back side. One of next mods is to change the mount out for likely one of those ball cup style (repurposed tie rods).

Cameron

That is definitely the preferred failure mode.  Years ago, I had one fail by fracture (different set-up than I am currently running).  Not a pretty thing.

You can see the bent TC tube on the ground in front of the car.  It had fractured in the threaded portion adjacent to the attachment at the LCA.

Remember it well!