HybridZ

stuck engine

malibud

Picked up a zx engine that had been sitting for a long time. but has few miles around 40k . I removed all spark plugs and can only turn the engine 1/4 turn any ideas ? tooked valve cover off head looked clean no loose rocker arms.

How can I tell if I have a bent valve ?

Could the clutch still attached catch something ? (going to remove tommorrow . 

Rather not take it apart but if I have to which would be first pan or head ? 

Thanks 

Rust ridge on the cylinder walls? Frozen piston rings?Squirt some penetrant in the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Pull the oil pump and check to be sure nothing is I it. Pull the distributor and the drive shaft. Squirt oil on the bronze gear that drives the pump and the distributor. Make sure nothing is in the cam chain. Squirt some oil on the crank gear.

Turn the engine back and forth to see if you can work it loose.

• 1 month later...

Just went through this not too long ago- pulled everything off thinking it was clutch, starter, trans, oil pump, etc. Even checked motor with a bore scope to ensure no obstructions. Note that I knew the motor was running/freely turning over a couple of months prior so that ruled out a lot for me already. 

What solved this for me when I could find no obstructions was: (1) Penetrating fluid to soak cylinder walls, (2) dunk oil all over top of motor/cam gears, (3) rock motor back and forth from crank pulley bolt until broken free. 

(2) Made the biggest difference since the motor was sitting dry for a couple of months (indoors, conditioned garage)

Edited by Dat73z

Drain the current oil, fill cylinders, crankcase and head (don't forget timing chain area) with ATF or 10w, let sit for a day or so then work back and forth as JohnC suggested.  Just make sure you don't forget to drain it back to the appropriate level before turning things over or you might not be able to turn it at all. ATF works great for breaking things up and cleaning out parts if you soak them for a little while.  

Once it is turning freely drain it completely, leave the drain plug out, wash/flush it down from the top with some clean inexpensive engine oil to flush things, then fill it with the correct oil & filter, and enjoy!  It sounds like a lot of oil but if it has been sitting for awhile Dat73z is right on the money that bearings and things will be dry and stuck, you don't want to cause anymore damage from friction than absolutely necessary to get things free'd up.

*and just noticed the couple month old time stamps on this :bonk:

Edited by 1969honda

It worked!. put a couple of squirts of marvel mystery oil in each of the cylinders rocked it back and forth. I came loose after a couple of days. Dropped the engine in did a compression check 160 across except for 1 cylinder had about 30psi.. after cranking for a while it came up to 160. Started the engine ran great. dump a 1/2 can of sea foam in the oil ran about 50 miles and drained. Car runs great! no smoke, used a nissan intake/exhaust gasket. I think that helped with cabin smell. fresh engine with flat tops makes for a fun little car. A little more predictable than my turbo z, and reliable..