HybridZ

Kevlar scatter shield

I bought a Kevlar trans blanket with the idea of using it on the bellhousing as a scattershield, but when I try to attach it, it's just not working. It was designed to wrap around the round portion of a transmission, not the tapered portion of a bellhousing. It's too thick and inflexible to conform. What I should have done is bought a SFI bellhousing, but I didn't and now I really don't want to pull the engine and trans back out to change it out. 

Used to have .25" thick metal scattershields that I made for previous build. I could do the same again, but not looking forward to climbing around inside the car with the cage in there trying to bend and shape the metal to get it done.

I remembered that TAP Plastics has Kevlar sheet, so now thinking I could go buy some and stack up a few layers and then glass over the top of it to make a shield on the inside of the car that I could screw to the trans tunnel with some nutserts. Guess the question here is how do I figure out how thick to go in order to make it strong enough?

There is no requirement, although SCCA says they recommend a scatter shield. I have a small diameter button clutch on an SFI flywheel. Someone pointed out that the lighter small diameter parts have a lot less energy, and people generally don't run scatter shields with them in road racing situations. So I think I'm just going to run it as is.

As far as the original question goes, I do like the blanket inside idea but it would have to be trimmed to fit. That would be like trimming a bulletproof vest. Might be able to do it with a cutoff wheel or something.

If you play with Kevlar you'll need carbide scissors.  They will probably cut up the blanket.  I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  But your idea of bonding kevlar to the tunnel or the bellhousing should work.  You can get a bellhousing that's rated to contain the flywheel clutch for your setup.  It's very heavy.

Cary

The odds of a small diameter clutch blowing up are very very small.  Most clutch explosions are drag racing related, and heavy stock style clutch/flywheel assemblies.  However, they're ugly when they happen.

You might look into the lightweight convertor shields, something like this:

http://www.jegs.com/p/CSR/CSR-Transmission-Flexplate-Super-Shields/747511/10002/-1