HybridZ

valve guide

Datsun#1

It's been described here and there.  Some guys use a press, some use an air hammer, I believe.  And a big oven, sometimes.  Seems like an easy job to do in principle, and an easy job to screw up in practice.

If you can do all the disassembly yourself I can't imagine you'd get railed on cost to have one guide replaced. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do them all and maybe even have a valve job done or at least have the head inspected.

That being said, I know all too well the feeling of just doing what absolutely needs to be done due to budget constraints. I have a local small-time shop where I get most of my stuff done- flywheel resurfacing, mainly. But they also removed a broken stud from an exhaust manifold and put my wrist pins in. I can generally expect most of what I go in there for to cost $30, and I know that's what the flywheel and stud removal cost me. Wrist pins I want to say were about the same, maybe even $20. The shop won't impress you- blocks covering the floor with narrow pathways between them and not the cleanest place in the world, but they do good, honest work for fair and honest prices.

Went on a bit of a tangent, but my point is that you should try to find a reputable and independent shop that has been around for a while and is well-known. In my experience, the real gems with automotive work/shops/machining/etc. are fairly difficult to find unless by word of mouth. Don't be afraid to ask around.