HybridZ

Davies Craig EWP (electric water pump) on an LS2

Zzeal

A Davies Craig EWP is an Australian made electric water pump. ( They should'a named it Craig Davies, don't you think?)

I got it from Hoerr (pronounced "hare") Racing.

It's a cute, light, quiet little pump (aluminum, 2.6 lbs., flows 2377 gal./hr. @ 10A max) that plumbs into, and is supported by, your lower radiator hose.

With its digital controller I can adjust the engine operating temperature on the fly, and at shutdown the pump (and elec. fan) will run for up to 3 minutes (typically about 1 minute), to reduce the coolant to 14 degrees (f.) under your operating set point, completely eliminating heat soak.

The whole idea is to eliminate the mechanical water pump impeller, which can sap 13-15 h.p.. They have a kit that totally eliminates the mechanical pump on a chevy small (and big) block (and some fords), but not yet for an LS. They've gotta be developing an LS kit, and I'm wondering how they'll reroute the serpentine belt without the water pump pulley.

Being too impatient to wait for a kit, I bought an Edelbrock pump, with a very accessible (and replaceable) impeller and did some surgery on it (an impellerectomy!). 

I mounted the controller on a hinged panel under the dash, which can be pivoted up out of sight.

I liked the whole concept of the thing, and now I'm very pleased with how well it works.

Steve

P1020839_zpskrct3zrv.jpg

P1020840_zpsevx4nn5s.jpg

P1020838_zpsawxnxs73.jpg

P1020879_zpshmyvvmlu.jpg

P1020846_zpsux1vvynq.jpg

P1020845_zpsgbttgxai.jpg

P1020897_zpsb4wfm0zf.jpg

P1020842_zpssdvnhzsr.jpg

That think looks like it will move a serious amount of water. I am not so sure about hanging that pump of the lower radiator hose. 2.6 lbs + the weight of the water, bouncing around, seems to be like it should be secured with a bracket. But then again, maybe not. 

That think looks like it will move a serious amount of water. I am not so sure about hanging that pump of the lower radiator hose. 2.6 lbs + the weight of the water, bouncing around, seems to be like it should be secured with a bracket. But then again, maybe not. 

That's the recommended installation technique, no brackets allowed.

I had one on an L6 mounted similar and never had a problem.  They are really good pumps and the controller worked very well to warm the engine as well as cool.  I'm thinking about adding one to my LS too.

Cary