HybridZ

Vg30DET information

New 2 z

This is all the information i have been able to gather for a VG30DET not a vg30et not a vg30dett. I'm making this thread to help future vg30det people and future swaps this information is mostly shrouded in mystery and information for the single turbo twin cam monster is seriously scarce.

There 2 types of vg30dets series 1 and series 2.

Series 1s have black intake manifolds and red valve covers, they don't have knock sensors, they dont have recirculation valves, some turbos are journal bearing or ball bearing depending on model. However they are bigger then rb25 turbos and vg30et turbos i will post specs when i have a chance and when I get home. These motors are believed to make 230hp at the crank despite what wiki says however theres no hardcore evidence. Most of these motors came in luxury nissans in Japan ans they are just hard to get ahold of.

Series 2; they have a black intake manifold cover with a unpainted upper intake manifold and silver valve covers with knock sensors and they do have recirculation valves. These motors are believed to make 250hp crank again there's no evidence behind this statement they can make 120 crabk hp for all i know though i doubt it.

The series 1 and 2 share the same cylinder heads. 45v regardless of year. Upper and lower intake manifold are also the same, the vg30det's use a top side feed fuel rail setup like the 87-89 z31 300zxs na/turbo. Vg30det's also run 270/260cc injectors stock. Impedance has not been confirmed yet i will get to that. (I have a series 1 and 2 vg30det)

All vg30dets have bigger intake ports then z32 vg30de/dett from 89-1999, vg30dets have a unknown compression ratio i have speculation that series 1 is 8.3:1 and series 2 is 8.5:1 with makes sense considering the power drop with series 1. Vs series 2.

Vg30dett/de vs vg30det the blocks are different vg30 twin turbo and na blocks have a casting of 30p the det is a block casting of F65 whether its stronger or not I'm not sure. I know nissan doesn't change casting numbers unless a change was made like non turbo 30p heads vs twin turbo 40p heads vs 48p tt heads vs 45V det heads.

Vg30det have a side mounted starter just like the z31s.

I will get more information and pictures as it comes

• 6 months later...

We look forward to your continued documentary on the

RARE VG30DET Dual Overhead Cam, single Turbo V6

Who in the US is capable of maintenance on this engines heads, and valves ?

Can these engines be serviced by the US Nissan Dealers network ? or JDM Sources

Any specific dealers of which you are aware ?

There are a few US Contributed videos on YouTube, but no one ever replies with usable information.

Best kept secret is where you can find an uncut wire harness, and a suitable ECU to couple with these engines.

Most wire harnesses were cut in Japan ? 

What are the ECU Numbers available for these VG30DET Engines ?

Any information    would be appreciated.

Regards,  PDF

• 3 weeks later...

I played seriously with a VG30DET about ten years ago, the most important differences between them and the VG30DETT are obvious visually, there are no real secrets. The heads are good, some say better than the DETT's, the stock exhaust manifolds are also good. The inlet manifold setup is rubbish, mine was all custom including the top feed injector rails which were an absolute nightmare to get right and fit, with that and a GTX35/82R turbo did 420hp at the wheels on 15psi boost.

Good luck to anyone who plays with these, they are basically an excellent engine but it's the external detail that will drive you mad if you want real power.

Edited by 260DET

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 7:28 PM, JelmerPatrol said:

I can get my hand on one of those very cheap. Do they have variable cam timing?

They DO have variable cam timing.  on  Series 2  (silver covers)...... don't know if series 1 (red covers) has VCT.

Edited by Stano71

The chopped harness is the biggest hassle, dropping this one in my z31 at the moment nearly there just need to sort wiring. using a z32tt auto  harness and ecu and airflow, z32 na flywheel to fit 71c gearbox(bellhousing) and 4.11 diff .it is impossible to find a wiring diagram but I have almost completed tracing all the wires out. Will share MY wiring config/ diagram when engine is running correctly as it seems like nobody else has documented it .

maybe others who did this swap had a good harness to start with?

anybody got more info they would like to share? Wiring diagram would be great  :)

post-53646-0-78489700-1477653050_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stano71

I found some good info at this Japanese(translated link) site for the CIMA which had VG30det .Has info for Early and Late models, series 1(red covers),

mine is series 2(silver covers) . ECU PINOUTS for ecu with 4 separate plugs(early) AND  ecu pinout for ecu with one large Blue plug(late) same as z32 etc

plus info on other sensors etc .well worth a look for VG30DET info  :D

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com.au&sl=ja&u=http://www.geocities.jp/blue31cima/index.htm

Edited by Stano71

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

i finally got this motor running i need to post pics ports are phyiscally bigger then the vg30dett and i have also heard the block was used in imsa racing for 1 year before they changed to alterntive material.   

blocks are different casting numbers as are heads. cams and valves are the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

If any of you guys are still playing with the VG30DET motors I have several parts units.

I am currently building a hybrid T+T version & have access to all the disassembled heads valves lifters etc... 

I have been running them for years in my old MA61 Supra project.

-A

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/23/2017 at 6:21 PM, VA61DETT said:

Hi,

If any of you guys are still playing with the VG30DET motors I have several parts units.

I am currently building a hybrid T+T version & have access to all the disassembled heads valves lifters etc... 

I have been running them for years in my old MA61 Supra project.

-A

Do guys know where to get parts for the vg30det motors? 

Cool conversion.

I just got out of the VG30 life though, cooked too many bearing at high RPM.

In the process of a hybrid 1/2uz build now.

The factory coil packs are rubbish, had loads of problems with them.

Ended up converting to LS7 units with Haltech management, zero ignition issues afterwards!