HybridZ

L24 and L28 short blocks

Onion

A guy is offering me two short blocks for $300. A F54/P79 L28 that be put dishes pistons into, and an unknown L24. What do you guys think on the price? I want to get him as low as possible so that I can still buy Jesse's L28ET lol.

Depends on the condition. If the cylinder walls are worn (no cross hatching) scarred etc then they would need a rebuild and possibly a bore up which would cost more then anything you spend on the block.

If the engine includes the head that term is usually called the long block, short block is usually just the lower portion. 

Can you get compression numbers? Is the head removable for bore inspection? In good condition the l28 may be worth the asking price alone. The l24 is usually only sought by more purists and would not be as desirable since a purist would want a numbers matching motor.

If you plan on buying someone else's motor, then I would save the money just incase you need to revisit parts on it, unless the motor is rebuilt and blue printed.