HybridZ

how to install a fuel pressure regulator and rail

280zmonstar

I am new to the Forum but I have searched and I can not find anything on  write ups, pictures, videos, on how to install a fuel pressure regulator and rail

Here is a pic of both the reg and rail

Thanks 

Also new to owning a 1975 Nissan 280z I'v had it for a couple of months :) 

post-50463-0-39866800-1438731549_thumb.jpg

post-50463-0-03149400-1438731564_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forums! 

It looks really straight forward. Fuel feeds into one side and exits through the other of the fuel rail. The 6 barbs connects to each of the injectors. For most fuel pressure regulators you run them after the fuel rail so on the return side of the rail install the fuel pressure regulator then return it back to the tank.

The fuel should go as follows. Tank - Fuel Pump - Fuel Rail - Fuel Pressure Regulator - Tank. There will be a filter from the pump to the rail in the engine bay, I can't remember if there is one from the tank to the pump in factory form.

This is pretty basic to install. If you are quite new to working on cars I highly recommend finding someone who is familiar in your circle of friends/family who can watch over you while you do it as a fuel leak on a Z car can be extremely hazardous given the proximity of the fuel rail to the headers.

It would probably be a good idea to include what your post is about in the title. A little brush up with the forum rules will really get you off to a good start.

An intro thread would also be nice to give us a little background to who you are and your experience with cars etc. These can be posted to the new members sub forum. 

Once again welcome to the forums.

• 3 weeks later...

do you own all three rails or is that picture from the maker, and you ordered one like it?

I've just done a bunch of research....

One basic thing to do is to put a fuel filter between the tank and the pump, while you're playing with the fuel lines and all.  see this for a good write up. http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm.  his site is also grreat for all sorts of basic tips.  hard to navigate but once you figure it out, all the articles are worth reading.

as for the install, some guys do a deadhead configuration  (tank --> pump ---> filter --> regulator --> rail, with the return line straight form the regulator to tank instead of from the end of the rail) for good looks and simplicity, but that seems to sometimes cause issues with ther pressure going up and down.  people have talked about putting a big damper at the end of the rail.  there is also concerns with the fuel getting too warm in the rail, although the bigger rail you're putting in would ofset that.

others put the regulator before the rail: tank --> pump ---> filter --> Regulator --> rail --> return line...  but it seems most manufacturers suggest putting the rail after. you should check with the company that makes yours.

otherwise, seattlejester basically said it all.  the way he describes seems like the most recommended one. 

as for where you want to put the regulator, you could find a way to bolt it up right next to the rail on top of the engine (similar to the stock location) and run a return line from there to the tank (either parallel to the intake line, or in the back of the engine against the firewall, which sometiems looks cleaner), or you can mount it next to the fuel filter stock location, although that would imply running a vaccum line accross the engine all the way there, which is not a big problem.  you might argue that having the regulator away from the engine clean things up even with an extra vaccum line.   and you can always tuck that line somewhere, while you can't tuck the regulator anywhere..    although yours looks nice, make certain it can be seen   B)  

one thing I suggest is to google 280z, 280zx, l28 engine and whatever else you can think of and look at pictures of people's engine bays.  you'll see a few setups there that should inspire you... 

good luck, and post pictures and tell us stories about what you en up doing. 

Edited by supernova_6969

I had a similar rail from JSK on my car that I actually fed from both sides, with the regulator/return line coming off of a port on one of the faces of the rail itself. My rationale, developed from reading up on split fuel rails at the time, was that feeding both sides of the rail would hopefully provide consistent flow to all the cylinders while under load. My concern, possibly unfounded, was that the far cylinder from the line-in side could potentially starve and this should prevent that. You can see how that looked here:

DSCI0015-1.jpg

It ran fine like that until I added a turbo to the mix without upgrading my injectors and blew the engine.

Edited by veritech-z