HybridZ

Stock Gas Door on YYZ Rear Quarters

z-ya

I'm in the process of restoring my silver 72'. I went with YZ280 flares in the rear, and subtle Z front fenders. 

I want the car to still look like a Z. I'm not a fan of the Ferrari style gas doors, and filling the tank through the hatch is not what I want. I am running  the stock 240Z tank, with a modified 280Z steel filler neck. Still got some more shaping a finish sanding to do.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GPPpC_oicx-j021-GFuE_EoxCdEuSixETOzItJsbHRU=w1538-h866-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HpYKyiAyXcJy3o6gYfL9KL7DbNGyj2EMbPhCosveLzU=w1538-h866-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EbMSye5o-GgwRwZvFVkSIgpVttMNR-HK1wjFwkedgkY=w1538-h866-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YgDQu59nSTt2HtRXZs4t6mi3HDEd2p5Mxxtzq_dfLk0=w1538-h866-no

Edited by z-ya

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the pictures dont come through...

The shop that has my car things the stock gas flap bracket hing may be too strong to be used on the fenders and may crack it over time with stress. Would be curious on a long term trial and see what your results are as that was my first suggestion to them to reuse the bracketry for the gas flap door.

If you click in the link, you will see the photos. Just worked for me.

I am using the stock door hinge. Where the hinge mounts was not offset correctly for the door opening, so I bonded a block of wood in there and then glassed over it. On the back side of the hinge I cut the stock capture nuts, and then bonded that plat to the back. On the door, I bonded the hinge using 2 ton epoxy, and then glassed over that. This made the door thicker and a lot stronger. So far I see no signs of cracking, but it only has surfacer on it now.

Did you have Z-Trix make the stock gas door?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys. John Washington did most of the gas door work, but I had to do quite a bit of modification to get the hinge to work right, and for everything to line up. I think this was the first one that he did.

Yes, I painted it myself in my garage. The third car I have done, and by no means perfect. Some orange peel needs sanding, and I got something under the clear in one spot, Won't be noticeable in the sun. The color is custom, but it is based on the original 902, but slightly brighter with more metal flake.

The gap in the fender well will either be glassed in, or steel inner fenders. Haven't decided yet. The whole undercarriage is getting bedliner. 

One other note, the Subtle Z fenders didn't fit my car very well. They really are more "race" fenders. There is no internal reinforcement. So I bonded steel ones from a set of old stock fenders. I used the Fusor bonding adhesive for the rear quarters and anywhere else I had to bond glass to steel. This is the third project I have used it on. Expensive, but good stuff.

Pete

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, I got the car back on the ground. Gas tank, differential are in. Brakes are operational. I'm moving in 6 weeks, and my goal was to have the car as a roller by then. So far going to plan. I'd like to get the windshield, dash, and doors on before I move. I'll post more pics shortly.

I am curious as to the width of your rear wheels/tire setup. I have changed my wheel setup and will be going with 17x10" -20 rears and am considering redoing my rear subtle Z quarters with the YZ route. Not sure if this would leave way too much of a gap.

They are Rota RB 17x9.5 rear, and 17x8.5 front.. I don't remember the offset. I am running 2.75 ARP studs all around with 1.5" spacers in the rear, and .75" in the front. I'll take some pics tonight.