Attached Files

#102 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX, US

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

Moving on I finally got my hot side of the turbo kit cermic coated. It's a shame to cover those fantastic welds but, it's for the greater good. Shot a quick pic when I dropped it off. Ignore the parts under the red x. They're not mine.

Attached Files

Edited by nismo kid, 11 October 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#103 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

The hot side ended up looking great after Ceramic coating.

Attached Files

Edited by nismo kid, 11 October 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#104 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:17 AM

I also installed a new shorter serpentine belt. Due to my fear that excessive heat would cause my serpentine belt to prematurely fail. 

Attached Files

#105 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

Here's the new belt

Attached Files

#106 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

To keep a clean look I chose to relocate my ignition coils. So I purchased Michigan Motorsports ignition coil relocation kit. Unfortunately it wasn't a plug & play install. Even though I had coils that were advertised to fit.  They didn't. Here's some pics showing the Coils not fitting. 

Attached Files

#107 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

After some quick machining they fit perfectly. It's worth noting Michigan Motorsports did issue a reimbursement to cover machining costs. I couldn't be happier with their customer service. 

Attached Files

#108 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

Now to tackle making mounting brackets for them to bolt to.   
Driver side

Attached Files

#109 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

Passenger side 

Attached Files

#110 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Another preventative step I took was the installation of new sensors & intake manifold gaskets. Also installed new steam port gaskets. The steam port gaskets I used were Dorman #56390. New stainless steel hardware was used to secure the TPS & IAC. The stainless steel hardware specs was M4x.7mm x 12mm & M4 washers. Only thing left is to weld the IAT bung on & install new oil pressure sensor. 

Attached Files

#111 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Last but not least was the making of the spark plug wires. I didn't want my spark plug wires to take take away from my "clean look". With that said I chose to run them behind the exhaust manifolds. Accel Extreme 9000 wires were chosen. Due to not wanting to deal with melting boots all the time. These wires have cermic boots that withstand 2000 degrees. In kit #9001C the shortest plug wire was 31.5 inches long from the base of the cermic boot. This kit doesn't come with boots for LSX coils. I used Taylor Cable #46069 boots. For extra protection DEI Titanium Protect-A-Sleeve was installed to cover the portions of wire nearest to the exhaust manifolds. 
Pics of the parts used to make my wires. I'm also posting the measurements of all the wires included in the #9001C kit. Maybe it'll help someone that stumbles on my build.

Attached Files

Edited by nismo kid, 11 October 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#112 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Spark plug wires complete

Attached Files

#113 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

Spark plug wires installed
Driver side 

Attached Files

#114 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

Passenger side

Attached Files

#115 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

Can't even see the coils or wires. Just the way I wanted :) Thanks again to all for stopping by. 

Attached Files

#116 260DET

260DET

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2817 posts
  • LocationWarwick, Q, Australia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

It's so rare for someone to start a project like this with a Z31 and then follow it through to the end, all with multiple pics and done to a high standard. After that I want something  ;) with that last pic it looks like the upper plenum goes back under the firewall horizontal flange, there is a shallow recess in the firewall there. Is that how far back the engine actually goes? I'll find out how far a LS3 with 4L85E auto will go back when that part of my build is reached, be interesting to know what may be possible though.

:2thumbs: for yours, and again :2thumbs:

#117 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

It's so rare for someone to start a project like this with a Z31 and then follow it through to the end, all with multiple pics and done to a high standard. After that I want something  ;) with that last pic it looks like the upper plenum goes back under the firewall horizontal flange, there is a shallow recess in the firewall there. Is that how far back the engine actually goes? I'll find out how far a LS3 with 4L85E auto will go back when that part of my build is reached, be interesting to know what may be possible though.

:2thumbs: for yours, and again :2thumbs:

I don't have mine all the way back but it should clear it. Looking forward to your build man!

#118 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Woo Hoo! A post holiday's update.  I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season.  This is one of, if not the busiest time of year for me. Got the regular holidays plus my daughter's birthday. Which is exactly 1 week before Christmas. Makes for a busy finish to the year no mater how much preparation is done.  With the holidays out of the way,  I finally got sometime to spend in the garage. 

To kick this update off I removed the kit to gain access to my wastegates. That way I could install my wastegate springs. I paired the green & red springs which should net me around .7 Bar/10.15 Psi. 

Attached Files

#119 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

To make removal/installs go much faster, I opted for some vibrant quick disconnect V-band clamps. 

Attached Files

#120 nismo kid

nismo kid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Just a fair warning lube the threaded "bolt" prior to install. I normally do but I forgot to on 1 of them.  Which cause this failure the 1st time I removed it. Another tip is to weld some Stainless Steel threaded stock to replace the threaded rod portion of the V-band. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users