HybridZ

wolf creek/beta motorsports r180 adapter failure.

jat240

It shouldnt have failed with a stock l28 and 1978 5-speed in a 78 280z with street tires and stock axles. right? everyone said the axles or r180 would break before these would...

I paid $500 for them from wolf creek feb 2014. I had maybe 1500-2000 miles on them. 5-6 autocross events and 1 trip to the drag stip where it broke on my first attempt to go down the track. 

Anyone else get axles around this time period? did yours have holes that were too big for the stock axle flange bolts? did yours seem kinda soft for something that had been heat treated?

Did I do something wrong? or did I just get a $500 paper weight that might have destroyed my $400 differential? I havent looked at the other side yet as it was still turning with the drive shaft....

post-11242-0-68946800-1438983936_thumb.jpg

Looks like a heat-treating problem, maybe?  Welcome to the world of racing and the world of after-market parts.  Try not to be too pissed about it, it sort of comes with the territory.  Upset and disappointed, sure.  But not mad. I'm glad it didn't happen at half-track and spin you into the guardrail.  Give the supplier a call, I would bet they will replace them for you and will want to do some research on their machine shop.  Way to go for enjoying your car fully, not many guys do.  Get it fixed and go snap a driveshaft!  Don't know if  you had any wheel hop, but feel for it and stop the spin/burnout if the wheels start to hop-that's a drivetrain killing situation.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I snapped my passenger side stub axle last weekend. I'm making more horsepower and have been running them since 2011. It was from a second gear pull. Driver side looks like it's twisting. I'm running a ls1 on street tires. I'll see if I can upload some pics later.

post-1651-0-40676100-1439564902_thumb.jpg

Wow!! I'm sure they just weren't hardened like they should have been.

What I find amazing is that you (as well as others) have broke these and axles on many a vehicle yet those tiny U joints generally seem to go unscathed. Makes so sense to me as I would think the U joints would be the weak link just based on size.

There have been two axle failures on two vehicles that I'm aware of.  The axles are from two different production runs about 3 years a part.  The second failure mentioned above was in an application beyond the design limits of the part.  It lasted 4 years.  The Nissan half shafts are very strong and failures tend to be in the shaft itself, not the u-joints - unless the u-joint is worn out.