HybridZ

Brake upgrade for 73 240z with 15x7 zero offset panasports , which ones ??? Decisions ......

Techno toy tuning now has an all wilwood setup with park brake . The say the will work with my wheels very little mod to rear caliper no spacers . I like that setup for the Wilwood quality all around . They say no master upgrade needed . Silvermine has options but not much for my wheel size . Also not all Wilwood . California Datsun has a stage 2 setup front wilwoods and maxima rear calipers with Park brake and they recommend the 1" master and proportioning valve  . Who's running what here ? Suggestions ? 

I have the Toyota 4x4 set up in front with Project Mu brake pads and Silvermine kit in back running under 15" wheels.  The Silvermine clearance is super tight. about 1/8" clearance.  I can't run wheel weights on my rear wheels. But I did it because I run my 70 240Z on the track in extreme heat conditions.  Like 30 minute run sessions at Willow Springs in 100+ air temp.  Or going from topped out at Auto Club Speedway into a 2nd gear braking zone for turn 3 into the infield.   If you're running your car on the street, you don't need to upgrade the stock fronts or rears.  The rear drums are perfect if you keep them tuned properly.  Same for the fronts.

Edited by Sandy455

Yes , read many many forums . Many nice kit options too . My research from today.....

I talked to Silvermine and they said I need to run spacers . I don't want spacers . Recommended wilwoods for front but proportioning valve for the front to turn down because the smaller rears aren't strong enough ... Yes the front .. Usually its the other way around but I get what he meant . Still nothing ha had that I was looking for to fit behind me wheels . Meaning the mustang rear calipers won't fit 15's etc.... Ok onto next .....

Arizona .... Killer setup ! Dave said it should fit my 15s and I will double check the template to them ... Problem with the Arizona ..... NO Park brake setup with a cable ... yet .. He said thats coming . Recommended 15/16 master . They look good if I wait it out to see when they get the park brake setup.

Techno toy .... Another great setup all wilwood .... Said no need to change anything master , etc .... Just bolt on and go . Gabe sent me a template and it looks real close with possible little grinding to the park brake lever . They are using a really cool wilwood caliper with park brake built in . It's a modified rare wilwood so that made me a little weary of incase issues could I get another easily ,but again it's a wilwood so .... Also I could go with 15/16 master option for firmer pedal but said not necessary . 

California Datsun has a good setup but running the maxima calipers and wilwood fronts also recommend 1" wilwood Master .

I'm fine with changing master to 15/16 or a 1" but which one is best ??? 1 or 15/16 ??? Many opinions in the forums and also including booster to go with . I also understand the pushrod length issue too .

I really don't want to invest in a maxima caliper for almost the price of a Wilwood in other kits , although we know when going for an upgrade from drums its some kind of caliper , so I get it using a maxima caliper can do that .

Arizona and Techno toy have wilwoods and both figured out my wheels will fit with a little grinding etc no big deal there . Of course I will double check all fitment possibilities before I pull the trigger . 

I think the decision is between Arizona and Techno toy tuning once I verify fitment . 

Oh and ...... I really don't mind paying for someone who set their kits up to sell ready to go . It's just what works for me . 

By the way all very helpful companies just different ways to make a pizza ?? lol  ..... Just looking for feedback on fitment with rims , brake feel etc .... Thanks again 

It's getting time to go through all my brakes after restoring car 17 years ago and have maintained the components . I just figure hey what the heck go for the good stuff even though I'll track it once in a blue moon . I do drive it hard when it is driven  :D I mean why else would we do all this crazy stuff ? LOL 

Edited by Soundguy

Suggest that you study what it takes to build a balanced and safe brake system before investing in a brake upgrade.  At minimum, throwing a bunch of brake parts together like many vendors do, results in less performance  than stock brakes and at worst are dangerous.

The guy telling you to put a proportioning valve on the front brakes to balance  rear  brakes indicates that he has not worked out a balanced brake kit.  Adding a proportioning valve to the front brakes creates a kluge (collection of non compatible parts forming a disgusting whole) to make his kits work. You can do some brake torque calculations with various front and rear caliper/rotor combinations and come up with a balanced design yourself or at least evaluate the available kits before you buy one.

Master cylinder selection is based the caliper volume requirements, brake pedal travel, torque calculations,  booster selection, your preferences for brake pedal feel and how the car will be driven and so on.  So there is no best master cylinder - it always depends on other factors.

Edited by Miles

I agree . Thats why I think its down to the 2 companies that really seem to have it together . If the templates fit my wheels it should a go ! This is why I put this out there for some feedback etc . This could be a costly mistake for sure if it isn't right . Yes caliper piston volume and pedal ratio comes into play too . Miles what year is your car ? Didn't you change your booster ? From what I understand 73 and up are bigger 8.5 vs 7 inch on earlier 240 zs 

72 240Z

Front Toyota calipers with solid rotors and rear 240SX calipers.  Axxis Ultimate brake pads.

280Z 8 inch booster with Wilwood 1 inch  MC.  The 280Z booster reduced pedal effort caused by the 1 inch MC. Brakes modulate well.