HybridZ

Ignition Coil relocate on stock L28ET

I am using the smaller Z31 coil.

I'm installing Megasquirt soon, and I'm wanting to have the wiring look nice, but the ignition coil where it is currently doesn't make this as easy.

Is it possible for me to mount the coil to the side of the intake manifold(or front of engine near distributor) without any issues? First time dealing with moving a coil so I don't know where coil(s) are supposed to properly be mounted.

Thanks,

Mil

Edited by Milenko2121

• 2 weeks later...

Gets kind of hot up there on the Intake manifold due to the exhaust layout. Ignition coils should be located as far away from Exhaust heat as possible. I would consider a different location.

Edit: Stock location is well thought out by factory and has a hole in Rad support that directs cooling air over the Ignition coil.

Edited by Chickenman

Im using a z31 turbo coil as well and i made a bracket and mounted on front of the valve cover using the two front valve cover bolts. it was moved from the stock location because of noise issues with megasquirt because the coil wire went over my ait sensor wiring. the car would randomly shut the car off and corrupt my firmware and i had to reload it all sometimes. there is a pic of it in my red rocket build in the s130 section.

Just an FYI. Regarding coil wires and plug wires. Do NOT use solid core wires on any EFI engine. They generate a TON of EMI ( Electro Magnetic Interference ). You must use Spiral wound wires such as NGK, MSD Heli-Core or Magnacore. Even with Spiral core wires, you must keep sensor wires as far away as possible from HT Leads.

And keep Hi power Ignition boxes like an MSD or Crane well, separated ( 3 feet or more ) from the ECU. Note how the factory put the ECU on the left pillar of the car and the Trignition box on the right pillar.

The above is all documented in the Technical FAQ's of SDS, Mega Squirt and Haltech etc.

Edited by Chickenman