HybridZ

SR20DET weight

David K

The alloy used in the SR20, 1ZZ-FE(I think that's what it was called--MRS engine. . . celica is lined), VQseries (350Z, Altima, G35, and even the turbo model VQs), and VH45 (Q45, and the race motor if I remember correctly). . . I'm sure I could go w/ a list enough to make you quit reading half way through. . .

Fact is, MANY aluminium blocks w/o sleeves are in production around us everywhere. The only ones that do have sleeves from the factory are honda I-4s (not sure about their V6s) and the latest model of celica. I know that there are more out there, but there are more that are not lined.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but I just want ppl to realize that AL blocks are not something to shun just b/c of the material.

The reason many ppl seem to shy away from AL blocks are that back in the day, when AL blocks began rolling off the production lines, manufacturers had not perfected methods of production or design. This led to many cracked blocks. It didn't help that ppl kept having to replace blocks after they overheated their motors. Probably made ppl swear never to get an AL block again. . . Thus the legend of weak AL blocks was born.

Other than that, as I mentioned earlier, AL blocks are VERY susceptible to severe damage when overheated. Blocks seem to crack warp when water temp goes a little too high. This is where the iron block shines above the AL blocks.

I'm not trying to say that the AL blocks are better than the iron blocks, b/c, as I mentioned in my last post, I favor the iron block; however, the AL block isn't something to sneeze @ either.

A sleeved AL blocks are probably the best of both worlds, and I'd love to do this in the future, but it's definately not what you'd call cheap.

Conclusion--Iron block>AL block. . . but the difference w/ a well made AL block, the difference isn't that big of a deal as long as you don't overheat them.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

Not to argue, just want to make sure the info out there is correct - SR has sleeves. I own 2 of them, rebuilt one, and have looked into this thouroghly - SR and all other nissan alum motors have sleeves. Actually, the only motor my engine machinist has ever seen that doesnt is honda I4's. But trust me, I'd put my car and house on the fact that SR's are sleeved.

Actually' date=' the SR motor is not sleeved. I've seen numerous SRs, and whether NA or turbo, they are aluminum through and through. The block on the SR is, in fact, very strong for being AL; however, one overheating, and it's history.

When tuning a car, you need to think about the worst case scenario. It would've been nice if Nissan made the SR w/ an Iron block, but I'm not going to loose sleep over it just b/c it isn't. You just need to be careful w/ the cooling, but this is true for any motor, so. . .

In the end, it's all just personal preference. . . I wish that it was Iron, but so what? It's got it's faults like EVERY engine out there. To me the differences b/w the CA & SR aren't really all that big. They are both great motors, and if I thought the SR didn't hold a candle to the CA, I wouldn't have made the decision to go w/ the SR.

On a side note. . . I am planning on doing the solid lash, and keeping the revs at a reasonable level.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com[/quote']

WHAT?

BS.

The SR has sleeves.

ok, here's the best source for me. . . my eyes, and a magnet. There's a freshly disassembled SR motor sitting in our shop. The reason I THOUGHT that there were not sleeves, it that they are cast-in sleeves. I was wrong. . . I'm sorry. I used a magnet on it, and it stuck. . . :(

I didn't mean to misinform anyone on the forum. I'll definately check stuff 2 or 3 times before I post next time.