HybridZ

Front Strut Bearings - Tophats How Tight?

Hi all, 

I am currently running the full T3 coilover setup with the Koni Shocks and Ground Control Coilovers. 

For both the front and rears I am running the stock tophats with enlarged centerhole to slip over the larger piston diameter with the Koni's. Everything bolts together great, but I had a Q on the fronts which I couldn't find detailed in my FSM. 

With the strut steering bearings installed should the piston shaft be able to turn independently of the tophat with no load (e.g. coil turned down without preload on the shock)? Given that I had to enlarge the centerhole to clear the Koni's there is no locating indent on the tophap anymore so my options to apply torque on the tophat nuts are as follows: 

1) Load suspension and torque by hand

2) Quick rap with the impact gun

With the tophat nuts torqued down just handtight and absolutely no load on the shock the entire assembly feels fused. I'm thinking I need to torque the tophats on tighter than hand tight and this may change when there is load on the assembly (e.g. weight of the vehicle on the suspension). 

Edit- Also, anyone who is running coilovers or the same/similar setup, what sort of torque do you recommend for the tophats? Front/Rear? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Dat73z