HybridZ

Inner rear Quarter panel options/solutions

kerrys914

Please let me know how you have fixed a rust/missing inner quarter (lower) panel. I am missing my drivers side due to rust and am looking at options.

It seem the original design is flawed as it really just collects dirt and other road crap..

Thanks

Do you want to keep it stock or do you mind modifying it for tire fitment.  I had the same problem with my car.  But I was racing it in SCCA B street prepared.  I did this for bigger tire fitment.  What you can do, if you want to modify it, is buy a stainless steel wheel cover off of a car trailer.  You can get them from a farm sales place or even a place like Lowes.  You have to cut the cars wheel well along the seam between the two halves and undo the outer wheel well seam (spot welds).  After you get it out, you fit (cut to fit) the stainless steel wheel to fit that half of the wheel well.  Take your time and weld it in.  After that you seam seal every thing both inside and out.  Then paint it to seal it and keep it from rusting again.  If you want to stay stock, I hope someone can answer that one for you.  One other thing you should do is to make sure to put the rim of the stainless fender against the outer fender and seam sealer it to the outer fender, do not weld it.  Also a good time to seal the wheel well from rust as the Datsun did not come with any type of this.   ;) Good Luck!  This is for rear fitment?  You didn't say front or rear wheel well.

Edited by RedNeckZ

For front fitment if you can not find parts to replace it. You can cut out the bad section and have a replacement part made for it (welding shop can help make it) and weld it in. Then seam seal everything and paint it. :huh:  Good Luck with the problem.  They can make it out of any material you want.  Or find a replacement part for it at a pick and pull or at parts yard.  I did most of my own repairs after going to a auto body course and did all of the work myself.

Edited by RedNeckZ

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.. This is for the drivers rear quarter. My original one was rusted bad and I cut away the rust and now it is 8" too short now. I need a solution to seal up the trunk from the exhaust (the inner panel did this) and give some added strength to the lower quarter.

I think I am going to make a template and try to use some thin sheet metal. I tried to use 20ga and it is too difficult o work with for me :)..I will try 22 or 26ga as the inner skin and use some 20ga 1" strips (like ribs) for some strength.

• 2 weeks later...