HybridZ

heat soak/vapor lock l28et

malibud

I am battling heat issues in my 240z swapped turbo. non stock, Borg W. turbo, 420cc injectors, intake is in front of intercooler  etc. 

Questions:

1. Will wrapping the header help ? 

2. Turbo blanket ? 

3. wrapping the fuel rail but that would be ugly and difficult ? 

4. heat shield between intake and manifold ?

My plan is to install a thermostat to run the electric water pump and fans after shut down but this will also run the fuel pump since it is tied in with the ignition  

Ideas ?

Thanks for the help ...  

My last 280ZT I had had an N42 non-egr intake without a heat shield with all the heat soak issues. 

I wrapped the fuel rail, added a turbo blanket, and re-installed a heat shield. Did the trick for me. This was during the summer in FL last year. If you take your time wrapping the fuel rail, it actually looks half decent in the bay.

Edited by Team Zleep

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using the OEM L28ET timer-fan for the intake/injectors? Designed to combat heat-soak. Runs for timed 17 min (or so) when car is shut down and coolant temp is above some threshold.

Also, crack the hood open when you park it and consider some of those louvered inspection panels to let the heat out. 

I am battling heat issues in my 240z swapped turbo. non stock,

You said heat soak, vapor lock, and heat issues but didn't really describe what happens, or when.

The typical problem seems to come from hot injectors.  Running the water pump and fuel pump would probably help.  But you'll be using your fuel as a cooling medium.

Many people have had luck by just installing an aluminum fuel rail.  But you probably already have one of those.  Wrapping the rail might make the problem worse since it won't allow the rail to radiate heat away from the injectors.

If your heat shield is missing that will make the problem worse.  Nissan spent a lot of effort trying to keep heat away (shields) or remove it (fans) from the fuel lines.  Sounds like you've deleted both of their fixes.