HybridZ

starting problem

Hi My name is Jakob I own a 1978 datsun 280z 1/78. I recently have had a Starting problem. The car won't compression start. So I replaced the coil rotor wires cap and the Distributor. It wasn't getting spark before and now it still won't. When I try to crank the car all it sounds like is a dead battery. But when I crank it the rotor won't spin I am able to spin it by hand. So I was told it could be the crank shafts or what ever it is called that is from the motor to the distributor that won't spin if I try cranking it. So I was wondering if you know what could be the problem of is if the crank or something.

Works now.  Take the distributor out and see if the drive shaft, bottom of the hole, is connected to the crankshaft.  If it turns freely by hand, you'll have to remove the oil pump.

Apparently the shaft can slip down inside the drive gear.  Another Hybridz member had that happen.  So you might find that the shaft won't turn, but the tang doesn't stick up far enough to catch the distributor.

You might also find that your distributor is about to fall out and has lifted up out of its mount.

Edited by NewZed