HybridZ

an entire Miata subframe transplant into a 240z

badfrogg

I looked around the internet an did not fine anyone talking about transplanting the complete miata subframe into a s30 body. The miata has a lot more economical suspension and brake options. Sure the motor is not all that powerful but its modern and has some potential. The wheelbase is very close and all you would relay have to do is move the motor mount 1.5" back.

Anyways just some food for thought.

Here is an overlay of the miata with the z in scale and here is what im working with right now for a z body

post-50668-0-47749900-1440965683_thumb.png

post-50668-0-54917400-1440965726_thumb.jpg

Edited by badfrogg

It's an interesting project but it's not an economical one. Your savings with Miata parts will be offset (by orders of magnitude) by the fabrication costs. As I said, it's interesting.

I have a metal shop at my disposal and a machine shop in the evening that only cost me cold beer to sneak in small things. So... Not as big a deal as it is for most.

The Miata is the better car (I own both). The only advantage I can see for putting the z body on Miata chassis is that you would have room for an inline 6. Can already do v8 in the Miata.

This thread does give me ideas about a z bodied Exocet.

I do not have both but on paper the miata looks to be a better platform and it has a lot of aftermarket performance support. when i look at s30 performance stuff, its expensive and limited. 

"z bodied Exocet" That is exactly what got me interested. I will not go so crazy as to hollow out the Z body but i would plan to transfer the mount point from the miata body and then gusset it up just a bit with tube. One cool thing is that the miata is all four wheel double wishbone and if i do a little math i could position the mount point so that the suspension is the correct geometry at whatever ride height i want.

I am hunting craigslist now for a $2000 or less, 1994 or better miata. Even I don't do it i will still have a miata which has always been on my list of vehicles to drive.

Edited by badfrogg

This guy basically did it only with a 411 wagon.

Also check out his other project on a 520 pickup.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52056-misinformation-look-here-to-get-the-411/

Yep, I've seen quite a few miata transplants but not one s30. Love the 411 wagon. I had a 510 wagon when i was a teenager. my biggest regret was getting rid of it only to see now that they are almost unobtainable.Oh the stupid things we do when we are young.

Go for it. I was pondering this very subject during the sermon this morning.

I just pick up a 96 miata for $1500. It is in really good mechanical condition, not molested or riced out. 100% factory. Got it cheap because it had been in a hail storm and the body has like a hundred dings all over. It was really cool to drive a Miata for the firs time. It surprised me how peppy it was, begged to be driven fast. Unfortunately after only twenty minutes of driving it some hillbilly redneck yelled out of his F350 Super-Duty to call me a homosexual. It made me chuckle but i do feel a little girly when i drive it. Come to think of it i bet %95 of all new Miata buys were by females.

Anyways, the biggest piece of this potential project is obtained so hold tight and lets see what happens!

Get a rainbow bumper sticker and a few "Save the Whales" stickers and maybe even a Obama/Biden sticker to cover the hail dents. Nobody will dare say a thing. Only an idiot would hate on a miata. They are great cars. And will spank my redneck V8 ass at an autocross all day long. Roll Tide!

• 2 months later...

Having now seen a couple LS Miata in person, the Z body/miata suspension has the huge advantage of weight distribution. Something that is paramount in a high hp car. I'll take all the rear weight I can get and in fact are in process of moving the Z front wheels forward as much as reasonably possible without major surgery (about an inch) which should get another 0.5% on the rear. Z you can barely get to 50/50 but just look the the relative windshield/firewall location and its clear the engine sits much further forward in the Miata.

Besides the obvious who wouldnt prefer the hips of a Z?

I was able to get 48F/52R in my NA powered L6 1970 240Z. Move the engine back to the firewall and drop it an inch or two. Run a CF hood, move a small lithium battery behind the passenger seat, remove the bumpers, gut the doors, etc.

Removing weight also moves the weight distribution.

• 3 months later...