HybridZ

CX Racing Oil Pan Review - RB26 into 240z

NylonAdmiral

• 3 months later...
I've been busy with other parts of the build but have spent the last week or so trying to get the engine back in the car.  Unfortunately I've had yet more problems with the oil pickup.

If you watched the original video I mentioned I was going to put an endoscope down inside the pickup because I was suspicious that it might have some loose metal inside it that could work itself free and into the oil system.

I've edited the original post to include a video showing what happened when I cut the oil pickup open to investigate this.  As suspected the loose metal was pretty bad.

I've since been trying to fit the pickup but have come into other issues with it too.

05plsrt4 asked if I had to remove the windage tray to fit the oil pan, whilst the oil pan fits with the windage tray fitted, the oil pickup doesn't which is pretty annoying.  Rather than remove the windage tray itself, I'm going to have to modify it slightly in order to clear the pickup.  You can see where it clashes here:

post-48446-0-85651100-1454014492_thumb.jpg

Stony, how did you mount the front supporting bracket?  I can't see how it's supposed to bolt to anything? And yes, I found the same problems with the bolt holes you mentioned.

Also, does anyone know if the dipstick relocation hole is on all RB26s? (as per the link helghast7 provided?) I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the little brass plug?

When I mounted the bracket I had the windage tray snugged down and the pickup tube tight with gasket installed. Then I just played with the different ways the bracket could go together and fit. in the end there was a specific order to how it went together. I will see if I can find some pics.