HybridZ

Turbo for L28E in Nissan Patrol

JelmerPatrol

if you want torque on the low end of the RPM band, you're better off with a smaller-ish turbo that will spool up quickly.  the downside would be that it won't produce that much power (or torque) in the mid-to-high RPM.

I currently have a baddly tuned t3t-4 (t3 on trubine, t04 on compressor), which is supposed to give you power but spin faster, and my turbo start wiving me boost a little before 3000 rpm, which i personnally find high.  If i had money, i'd try for a straight t3 to see if I can get that boost faster...  

metal bearings definately would help to have it spin faster (compared to traditional oil bearing).

I suggest you learn about turno compressor maps.  they'll tell you what each turbo is capable of...

good luck.. let us know what you do in the end and why, and if it works!

Don't go larger than the stock American 0.63 Hotside A/R... in Europe they were 0.82 A/R, and were rated at 200BHP anyway.
If you want torque, I'd suggest the stock turbo, but find the 0.48 A/R hot side, it will give you full boost by 1,700 rpms and perform identically at 10-12 psi of boost generating great torque at off-idle speeds. Everybody who rode/drove my car with that setup commented that the car felt more supercharged than turbocharged because the boost came on almost instantly.

Passing people at 120kph was fifth gear affair even running a 3.36 rear gear! When I went back to an N/A in that car...it was like "WHERE THE HELL DID ALL MY TORQUE GO???"