HybridZ

Reproducing HeadLight Covers input needed from the community

There's no need to plate the stainless steel rings.  You can simply polish them. 

OTOH, I'm not sure that you can make the trim rings and put them on any car, because there is no spec for attaching the headlamp covers.  People put the little  brackets where ever they please, and it seems like they are place in about the same place on each side, it's not a perfect mirror-image.

Having made some templates from posterboard, I tried it on my car, and even though the shape will do, the screw holes don't match, so I will have to make them  individually, but only place the tabs for the screw holes in the right places on each.

post-309-0-18130300-1487518146_thumb.jpg

There's no need to plate the stainless steel rings.  You can simply polish them. 

OTOH, I'm not sure that you can make the trim rings and put them on any car, because there is no spec for attaching the headlamp covers.  People put the little  brackets where ever they please, and it seems like they are place in about the same place on each side, it's not a perfect mirror-image.

Having made some templates from posterboard, I tried it on my car, and even though the shape will do, the screw holes don't match, so I will have to make them  individually, but only place the tabs for the screw holes in the right places on each.

attachicon.gifPosterboard template 2.jpg

I was making them in stainless but because of the fact that stainless work hardens very quickly I am now making them in steel (20 Gauge CR). Thus the reason for getting them chromed.

If there is any demand I can do some sets in black to match the trim of those who have blacked out their Z.

Edited by Chris_Hamilton

Chris Hamilton,

Is this still an active project? Last I read you had trouble with stainless and were considering using chrome plated mild steel?

I ask because I work with a factory that will be able to mass produce these and if you were close to coming up with a commercial product, I'll spare myself the effort and expense.

I you just wanted a pair for yourself, where would you go to get them cut, or is there something thin enough to last but also cut easily with some kind of tools you might own?  What thickness is normally used?  

MOsr metal-working places won't even talk to you unless you want to order 500 pieces...

Edited by TomoHawk

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm putting this link here for those of you who don't know that jdm car parts is bringing in repo's that look close to the real thing .

https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/reproduction-jdm-headlight-cover-for-datsun-240z-260z-280z

Do you know if these have metal outer rings? It seems like some that I have seen are chromed plastic. 

I don't know anything about them ...jdm parts would be the people to ask ...also this guy on dpan says he can get the exact same ones he is in japan ...here is his info :

Jamel Lopes Anyone interested in ordering a set, please send me a PM. I sourced these for Pete Smith and can get more of them. The cost for a set shipped by EMS 3-5 day delivery with tracking is roughly 730 USD. (Payment must be made in JPY by paypal so USD price is just a guide)
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 15 hrs

I have been getting used OEM ones for that price off yahoo auctions ..with some minor flaws.

• 1 year later...

FYI -- this thread is several years old, but for anyone looking for repro-style headlight covers, "Hung Vu" in NorCal is reproducing some very nice covers for about the same as the price listed in that JDM Parts link.  He's on FB, and is active in most of the popular Z car pages.