HybridZ
Chris_Hamilton

Reproducing HeadLight Covers input needed from the community

I guess i should just give up then... :(  Seriously, Why are you arguing with me about this?Would I like to have an original set to go off of? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Have I seen closeup pictures? Yes. The gentleman that provided me tracings of his also provided plenty of pics. I've seen several sets in person. I have other pics. Far more complicated parts have been made with less. Did you even read my posts? I mentioned countersinking the holes Read my post I mentioned the gaskets. They are not complicated parts to make. Hardest thing is forming the trim ring. I think that is what has stopped people in the past. I will use a fabrication technique that is very common to make them. Will they be equivalent to the originals. Yes or I won't sell them. No one is forcing you to buy a set, please stop being so negative.

And yes the mounting holes varied over the years. (Nissan outsourced these parts)

Please keep your sights strait ahead Chris....   :2thumbs:

Edited by RB26powered74zcar

I am paying attention to this, I would gladly pay $400 for a set of these if it comes with everything needed. 

The only thing that would prevent this is if someone has a minty set of originals they are willing to part with for $1,000 right now. 

Sorry again for the delay in posting. I have had some issues. I thought that I would make these in stainless, but I failed to take into account how easily stainless work hardens. If I had dies and a press this would not be a real problem but since I'm hammer forming them trying to shrink the stainless around the form was an issue. So I'm in the process of doing a run of 25 sets in steel and then will send them out to a high quality chrome plating company in Richmond VA.  This has morphed into more work than I imagined as I originally only planned to make a few at a time. So far I've made 12 sets and have 13 to go.  Then I have to weld the two halves of each ring together. When I complete them I'll do some finish work on each set to ensure they are nice and straight so that the chrome plating looks nice. After I have them prepped Owner of the plating shop says it'll be a 2-3 week turnaround depending on how busy he is. Hopefully some of you will still want a set when I get them done. I'll post some pics of what I'm doing soon.

There's no need to plate the stainless steel rings.  You can simply polish them. 

OTOH, I'm not sure that you can make the trim rings and put them on any car, because there is no spec for attaching the headlamp covers.  People put the little  brackets where ever they please, and it seems like they are place in about the same place on each side, it's not a perfect mirror-image.

Having made some templates from posterboard, I tried it on my car, and even though the shape will do, the screw holes don't match, so I will have to make them  individually, but only place the tabs for the screw holes in the right places on each.

post-309-0-18130300-1487518146_thumb.jpg

There's no need to plate the stainless steel rings.  You can simply polish them. 

OTOH, I'm not sure that you can make the trim rings and put them on any car, because there is no spec for attaching the headlamp covers.  People put the little  brackets where ever they please, and it seems like they are place in about the same place on each side, it's not a perfect mirror-image.

Having made some templates from posterboard, I tried it on my car, and even though the shape will do, the screw holes don't match, so I will have to make them  individually, but only place the tabs for the screw holes in the right places on each.

attachicon.gifPosterboard template 2.jpg

I was making them in stainless but because of the fact that stainless work hardens very quickly I am now making them in steel (20 Gauge CR). Thus the reason for getting them chromed.

If there is any demand I can do some sets in black to match the trim of those who have blacked out their Z.

Edited by Chris_Hamilton

Chris Hamilton,

Is this still an active project? Last I read you had trouble with stainless and were considering using chrome plated mild steel?

I ask because I work with a factory that will be able to mass produce these and if you were close to coming up with a commercial product, I'll spare myself the effort and expense.

I you just wanted a pair for yourself, where would you go to get them cut, or is there something thin enough to last but also cut easily with some kind of tools you might own?  What thickness is normally used?  

MOsr metal-working places won't even talk to you unless you want to order 500 pieces...

Edited by TomoHawk

I'm putting this link here for those of you who don't know that jdm car parts is bringing in repo's that look close to the real thing .

https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/reproduction-jdm-headlight-cover-for-datsun-240z-260z-280z

Do you know if these have metal outer rings? It seems like some that I have seen are chromed plastic. 

I don't know anything about them ...jdm parts would be the people to ask ...also this guy on dpan says he can get the exact same ones he is in japan ...here is his info :

Jamel Lopes Anyone interested in ordering a set, please send me a PM. I sourced these for Pete Smith and can get more of them. The cost for a set shipped by EMS 3-5 day delivery with tracking is roughly 730 USD. (Payment must be made in JPY by paypal so USD price is just a guide)
LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 15 hrs

I have been getting used OEM ones for that price off yahoo auctions ..with some minor flaws.

Do you know if these have metal outer rings? It seems like some that I have seen are chromed plastic. 

Do you know if these have metal outer rings?  Yepp, they don't .     

It seems like some that I have seen are chromed plastic.  Plastic they be.

I'm returning them.