HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Center Console

pkz

I concur with OldAndyAndTheSea.... If I could offer my .02. Its easier, more cost effective, quicker and without question you will end up with a better mold (Class A) if and when you work with a male plug (for all the reasons stated above)  I would never ever sand the finish in any of my molds!

PKZ I'm in the South Bay so if you need assistance or advice drop me a PM

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of good advice guys- Thank you!

This project has been on the backburner because of school, but tomorrow I'll be back in the shop sanding the mold, and laying down the last bit of filler resin (one of the gaps was a little hard to fill). I'm definitely seeing your point when it comes to sanding the female surface. However I think with a little more time and effort I can finish the mold to the surface I want. I'll admit sanding a male plug then pulling a fiberglass splash (probably using a gelcoat or something similar) would have been ideal, however seeing as I've got about 200$ of plastic into my current female mold, I'm going to stay the course and see how it goes. Sorry progress has been so slow. 

Rayven, I'm actually in the San Luis Obispo area until a few days in late november, otherwise I would take you up on your offer. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The mold's been sitting in my room for the past few months- I spend an hour or two sanding on it when I can, but haven't made alot of progress (mold prep takes ages on something like this). It doesn't help that I've got a couple other projects going on as well- tail lights on my 240z just went out, been working on some custom engine stuff as well. All that and school has really put this on the backburner. I'll keep updating this once I make a little more progress. Hard to prioritize it over school and the mystery of my taillights though.

I would be willing if the opportunity arose- however, most members here advised me to go with a male mold so I don't know whether I'd have alot of interest in the female one I printed many months ago. Progress has resumed however- just more sanding.

• 2 years later...