HybridZ

Stainless steel headers, exhaust and JDM twin-pipe rear muffler

SeanD

Sean Dézart, in and around Zs for 26 years now, current President of the French Datsun club (with nearly 1300 members - not all active of course), previous Dutch Z club member for 4 years and before that Chairman and events organiser of the UK Z club : I'm currently rebuilding my 1973 240Z.

Around 4 years ago I discovered that nobody was marketing reasonably priced s-steel exhausts so I set to it. 

I've sold modestly into Europe since and developpped and evolved the goods until now I feel confident to sell to a larger and more distant market.

In the range currently are :

1 3/4" primary pipe Full-race header : $799

1 5/8" primary pipe Race-sport header : $661

1 5/8" primary pipe Street-sport header : $537

Full 2.5" exhaust line with standard rear muffler : $559

JDM twin-exit rear muffler : $160

I'm looking at less expensive methods of shipping, currently $380 (tracked and insured) for a header and exhaust (with standard rear muffler) and JDM rear muffler.

I'll be very happy to answer any and all questions and I'll be posting up some tech speak for us geeks that love talking numbers :-) !

Best regards,

Sean

post-26030-0-02255800-1441864036_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-17779300-1441864056_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-80863800-1441864081_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-53826000-1441864094_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-33188100-1441864106_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-09430200-1441864118_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-07512300-1441864130_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-01036000-1441864151_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-27038300-1441864164_thumb.jpg

This looks very promissing. There is a definite void in a good quality race header in North America for L-series engines.

Some questions:

1) Did you used to sell through MJP Eastern Auto?

2) Do all the headers clear left hand drive S30 & S130 chassis?

3) What wall size & type of stainless are you using?

4) It appears from the photos that the race header has equal length primaries vs the street. Is this correct & what length are the equal length primaries?

5) What is the collector to exhaust pipe size? I'm assuming that 2.5" is it based on header back exhaust you are also selling. Just nice to confirm. 

6) Are the prices in U.S. dollars or GBP?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by JohnH

Hiya, thanks for the questions and sorry for the delay – had to get away from the kids homework and the wifes’ housework and then open up a box to double check – I wouldn’t want to make a gaff in front of the world here !

1) Did you used to sell through MJP Eastern Auto?

Yes.

2) Do all the headers clear left hand drive S30 & S130 chassis?

I can’t honestly say yet – I’m waiting to test fit the two race versions but the Street-sport version fits. For the S130s, I can’t say for any yet  - I’m waiting for my promised guinea pig 280ZX and dreading passing the steering box on the early versions.

3) What wall size & type of stainless are you using?

Street-sport = 1 5/8 primary pipes (40mm internal diameter leading to 2x 50mm secondarys) 
Race-sport 1 5/8 = 1 5/8 primary pipes (40mm internal diameter leading to 2x 50mm secondarys) 
Full race 1 3/4 = 1 3/4 primary pipes (42mm internal diameter leading to 2x 50mm secondarys)

All parts made in 201(austenitic) 1.25mm stainless-steel :

200 series’ steels - also referred to as chromium-manganese (CrMn) stainless steels are considered a cost effective substitute for 300 series stainless steels. 
They are generally harder and stronger primarily due to their higher nitrogen content) that can provide an additional benefit of improved yield strength. 
Series 200 stainless steels have excellent impact resistance and toughness, even in low temperatures.

Because they are austenitic*, the 200 series' of stainless steels are not magnetic.

*Austenitic steels are non-magnetic in the annealed condition. 
Known for their formability and resistance to corrosion, austenitics are the most widely used grade of stainless steel.

They have good formability and weld-ability, as well as excellent toughness, particularly at low, even cryogenic, temperatures. Austenitic grades also have a low yield stress and relatively high tensile strength.
While austenitic steels are more expensive than ferritic stainless steels, they are generally more durable and corrosion resistant.

4) It appears from the photos that the race header has equal length primaries vs the street. Is this correct & what length are the equal length primaries?

Yes.

Full Race = 1 3/4 primary pipes (42mm internal diameter leading to 2x 50mm secondarys) 
Primary pipes = 920mm long, join of 3-1 at 700mm 
Secondary pipe = 480mm long 
Overall length from head to single pipe = 1m40cm

5) What is the collector to exhaust pipe size? I'm assuming that 2.5" is it based on header back exhaust you are also selling. Just nice to confirm. 

The exhaust pipe is 2,54" (62mm internal diameter) all the way out to the rear 
The future 'Z432' JDM rear silencer has a 62mm entry to mate with the exhaust system and 2x 50mm exits

6) Are the prices in U.S. dollars or GBP?

Quoted in USD (doesn’t the $ sign appear correctly ?).

Some other basic figures as promised :

The JDM rear silencer has a 62mm entry and 2x 50mm exits.

The flange thickness is 15mm and has a cut-out to allow for better fitting above the thermostat housing.

Rectangular ports :

The height of the manifold ports is 39mm 
The width of the two inner ports is 36mm 

The width of the 4x outer ports is 32mm 

This plus the thick flange give amply opportunity to considerably machine out the ports where necessary.

gacksen - replied seperately - really nice engine you have !

Bludestiny - thanks - Nissan Primera BTCC specifications were my inspiration.

I recently bought a full exhaust kit (sport header, exhaust kit and JDM muffler) from Sean and I would like to recommend his parts and customer service. 

Sean answered all of my questions, shipped fast, and helped me out with anything else I needed. Now just looking forward to getting them installed.

Here are a couple photos of the header and muffler

post-41184-0-44476800-1442357856_thumb.jpg

post-41184-0-55435100-1442357846_thumb.jpg

Keep it up Sean! :2thumbs:

I do not doubt the quality of workmanship on these headers as I was looking into them about 8 months ago through MJP but unfortunately they could not fullfil the order due to being in the midst of moving their business. I am interested in the full race header however Sean must confirm that this header clears steering components on left hand drive vehicles  I suspect others here in North America are intersted in the race header as well & are waiting on this confirmation before making a purchase.

I do not doubt the quality of workmanship on these headers as I was looking into them about 8 months ago through MJP but unfortunately they could not fullfil the order due to being in the midst of moving their business. I am interested in the full race header however Sean must confirm that this header clears steering components on left hand drive vehicles  I suspect others here in North America are intersted in the race header as well & are waiting on this confirmation before making a purchase.

I recall reading on Sean's business page on Facebook, "Zstory", that he designed all of his headers to clear LHD vehicles - the logic being that is it works for LHD, then it will certainly also work for RHD. 

So yes, LHD clearance won't be an issue.  

I recall reading on Sean's business page on Facebook, "Zstory", that he designed all of his headers to clear LHD vehicles - the logic being that is it works for LHD, then it will certainly also work for RHD. 

So yes, LHD clearance won't be an issue.  

Hi and thanks - yes, that is the logic applied although these are specifically designed for LHD Zs for one basic and obvious reason.....a bigger potentiel market !

My apologies for the late reply - I don't know why but I'm not getting notifications despite having selected 'yes' !

John H - hurry up if you want the full -race version because I currently have 1x left ! The good news is that the same shaped 1 5/8 version is probably all that you'll need but list me your spec and intended use and we can discuss what is best for you. I've been running one of these 1 3/4 headers on my LHD 240Z for several years - so I'm not sure where your dobt about clearance came from.....? Best regards, Sean

Oh, sorry. In the sixth picture in your post immediately previous to mine there is a thin metal plate between the exhaust and transmission tunnel. I'm just curious if that is something "unique" or maybe something you plan on producing for sale? Everyone knows the Z-cars transmit a lot of heat through the tunnel and that looks like one of the best solutions I have seen.

thanks, and I love your product. very nice

Thanks.

No, it was standard on the car - a 280Z 2 seater.

Talking of shields, even though it would hide the pretty pipes, I would always reccomend a proper heatsheild under the carbs down to the chassi rail (see photo).

Looks are nice but efficiency wins !

Same car, shield and L28 but with 2" Jaguar SUs changed to Motorbike carbs.

post-26030-0-78466200-1443738929_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-45751200-1443738958_thumb.jpg

post-26030-0-91234500-1443738976_thumb.jpg