HybridZ

BMW getrag in my 280z?

ZcalledOdessa

To me if you want to bolt it to an L28 or L28et, i think its going to be expensive..  I think the 240sx trans is a better option.. Cost is the biggest factor..

I have seen a thread in another forum about the Bmw 5spd Getrag, bolting up to a 2Jz engine, using an adapter for $400. Said a guy on ebay was/is selling them.. Nothing else though..

Lexus forum, SC300-400, Performance and maintenance, page 2... The thread is still there.

That Getrag 6spd from the supra is very costly, ($5-6k) on the used market. I can't imagine many are using this. I certainly could not afford that price for just that one piece of the "parts to get" laundry list I have, so settled with a completely rebuilt/upgraded R154 as timing and luck would have it.

I have a 5 speed getrag transmission out of a 1991 BMW 325i lying around.

Parts found lying around usually are there for a reason.  Does the 1991 325i 5 speed even have exceptional value?  What would be the benefit?

I've driven a BMW stick shift, 1984 325i, and the lever action is rubbery and mushy.  Didn't like it compared to the plain old ZX 5 speed.

Parts found lying around usually are there for a reason.  Does the 1991 325i 5 speed even have exceptional value?  What would be the benefit?

I've driven a BMW stick shift, 1984 325i, and the lever action is rubbery and mushy.  Didn't like it compared to the plain old ZX 5 speed.

The car you drove likely had old, worn out bushings in the shifter assembly. The G260 is a fine transmission, but IMO pointless to try to adapt it to a Datsun. I'd sell it to someone with a BMW.

I would be tempted to find the corresponding engine and throw that in along with the transmissions. Friend just finished his E30 Turbo, and rattling off some questions seems like the engine is pretty stout and comes with a getrag 5-speed.

Good engines, except for that damn timing belt. Needs a chain.

And quite a bit of valve clatter, I thought the Z's were a bit tappety, but ours are down right quiet compared to those.

I will say even with my friends freshly bushing'd short shifted G260, I still prefer the nissan 5 speed. The toyota 5-speed feels way worse then both, but I would say something just felt real nice about the nissan shifter.