HybridZ

Starting a project

Hi I'm new to the Web site but am seeking yall's help I bought a 240z for a deal and have the option to keep the original motor or replace it with a v8 which I heard was a popular modification with these cars its just the begining of this project so I have plenty of time to make this decision and was seeking some help

Well to be more clear I'm looking for a comfortable every day driver with some power when I want it, so I'm asking if a v8 would be a better option over the in straight 6 that's already in it. If you have driven both and can help I'm just asking for advice on what I might want to do

This is a question that's going to be answered as an opinion, there's probably no cut and dried answer.

Stock is probably easier to restore/build but not as powerful unless you spend more money.

V8 will be faster but heavier, in a car that's already nose heavy, unless you spend more money for aluminum heads.

If it's close to running I would just restore everything else first and drive it to see if you like it.

Welcome to the forum.

We really can't give you advice on what you want to do, we don't know you. It might be better to start with an intro thread, where you come from, what cars you like, how you acquired the Z, what shape it is in, what skills you possess.

Your vague question also depends on what "some power" is as well. With the cars so light, you can spin tires in third with a hot NA L28, with a built V8 you could twist the chassis if that is what "some power" is. On the flip side we have several L series cars running as much power or more than an older V8, some making more then even new V8's. You could also throw on a bottle of nitrous depending on how often "when I want it" is. You could turbo charge the motor as well if "when I want it" is more often then a couple times a month.

Just a small correction to Chris's statement, our cars are actually not very nose heavy. I believe actually close to a 50/50 weight distribution. I would say nose heavy cars are more FWD cars or cars with engines in front of the axle like Subaru's or Audi's. Given a V8 is also two cylinders shorter you could move the engine back even further back and make more of the weight centered, although if it is iron with iron heads you could be adding a bit more weight.

My 260 has a Ford 5.0L with aluminum heads. I'll bet its better balanced and overall lighter than the original engine and transmission. The fact that the entire engine sits behind the front axles is a benefit. With that said, the stock car is far from heavy to begin with.

In my (biased?) opinion, this engine suits the car incredibly well. I'd just as readily drive with the L6, but 300+ ft-lbs of torque is a lot of fun in a small car like this... and there's something nice about the Ford small-block that I can't put my finger on. I feel like the car hasn't lost an ounce of character. 

The above may be true, however listening to the car thump away like my truck is a turn off for me. The sound and everything that comes with the L6 is what gets me going. I don't want my car sounding like a truck or every other muscle car at the car show. There are other ways to get 300ft lbs and stay japanese and do it NA. 

To each there own.